Founding Engineer [Remote, NO C2C]
Engineering | Remote | Contract
JOB TYPE: Freelance, Contract Position - No agencies (See notes below)
LOCATION: Remote (+/- 3 hours of daily overlap with PST required)
HOURLY RANGE: Our client is looking to pay $50 - $80 USD / HR
ESTIMATED DURATION: 40Hrs/Week - Long Term, ongoing project
Braintrust (usebraintrust.com) is a user-controlled talent network, where you keep 100% of what you earn and actually get to own the platform. We've been onboarding some big clients and specifically need a Founding Engineer for our client.
ABOUT OUR CLIENT:
We're changing the way that older adults access healthcare. As founders, we witnessed family members struggle with serious medical conditions without the right health insurance coverage. We founded this company so others can get the care they deserve.
Specifically, we are building the modern Medicare enrollment platform. (Medicare is health insurance for Americans 65 and older.) Today, people must select between an average of 57 plan combinations and 90% make the wrong decision with serious health and financial implications!
We’re fixing that by building a digital platform that helps people choose, compare, and enroll in the right plan for their needs. As our first engineer, you’ll transform our existing manual process into a digital MVP and bring the product to life!
This company is a high-growth startup backed by top VCs in Silicon Valley. As founders, we are experienced product developers who love working with skilled engineers. This role starts as a contract role but if it is a strong mutual fit, there is a path to become our first full-time technical hire and head of engineering.
This work has several cool technical challenges:
- HCI - How can we design intuitive user interfaces that make technology advancements accessible to older generations?
- Data - How can we leverage newly accessible healthcare data APIs to provide personalized health insurance recommendations?
- ML - How can we use a person’s health data (drugs, doctors, etc.) to predict which health insurance plan will provide the best coverage at the lowest cost?
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
First Few Deliverables Expected:
- An intake flow that gathers information from the user on what criteria matters most to them in their health insurance decision. (Plus an interface for the company's employees to retrieve this information.)
- Account creation functionality so that users have a home base with our product.
- Integrations with healthcare APIs to retrieve users’ doctor and prescription drug information.
- Demonstrate experience building code bases and infrastructure from the ground up
- Demonstrate the ability to weigh the pros/cons and select technologies
- A cloud platform (GCP, AWS, or Azure)
- Healthcare development experience (e.g. HIPAA-compliant development)
- Strong product intuition and even design skills
- Someone who is energized by tackling big engineering challenges
- Someone who is passionate about making a positive impact in the world and eager to empower older adults to get the healthcare they need
- Someone who is comfortable with the ambiguity of an early-stage startup and rapid iteration as we gain user insight and clarity on the business side
- Someone who is excited to help build a fast-growing company in a massive market (Medicare enrollment alone is more than $32B!)
- Strong English
- +/- 3 working hours overlap with PST
ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS:
Qualified candidates will be invited to do a screening interview with the Braintrust staff. We will answer your questions about the project, and our platform. If we determine it is the right fit for both parties, we'll invite you to join the platform and create a profile to apply directly for this project.
C2C Candidates: This role is not available to C2C candidates working with an agency. If you are a professional contractor who has created an LLC/corp around their consulting practice, this is well aligned with Braintrust and we’d welcome your application.
Braintrust values the multitude of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.