Design System Technical Writer
Design | Remote | Contract
JOB TYPE: Freelance, Contract Position - No agencies (See notes below)
LOCATION: Remote (TimeZone: BST, CST, EST)
HOURLY RANGE: Our client is looking to pay $70 - $90 USD / HR
ESTIMATED DURATION: 40Hrs/Week , short-term project
Braintrust (usebraintrust.com) is a user-controlled talent network, where you keep 100% of what you earn and actually get to own the platform. We've been onboarding some big clients and specifically need a Technical Writer for our client.
US/Canada preferred -- Native English speaker required
Who we're looking for:
We are looking for a Technical Writer to document design patterns and guidelines for common UI components for our Design System. The ideal candidate will have prior experience working with design related topics. Our component libraries and patterns have to support an array of needs around productivity, search, and communication. Our design systems play an essential role supporting the success of our development teams to think big, be solutions driven, and move fast to ensure our customers are alway prepared and productive.
Our client seeks to solve highly complex problems through an end-to-end platform solution that measurably improves business outcomes for our agent customer. Because our model disrupts existing processes that are often disconnected and inefficient (and sometimes still being executed via analog solutions), our experiences need to clearly demonstrate value, lower the barrier to entry, and be dead simple to use..
What you'll do:
- Own the iterative documentation process from concept to final delivery
- Create guidelines and document design patterns, such as Button usage guidelines, Form usage guidelines, and Table usage guidelines, drafting approximately 30 guideline pages by end of April
- Create documentation and guidelines that drive usage of our design systems, and help designers make effective and cohesive design decisions
- Meaningfully collaborate with Design System team (composed of designers and front-end/mobile engineers)
- Be constantly on the lookout for best practices, design patterns and anti-patterns, throughout various industries and platforms.
- Be a key player on a small but mighty team making a huge impact
What you bring to the table:
- 5+ years of technical writing experience, ideally with familiarity with design topics/design systems
- Strong communication skills and ability to effectively collaborate with other designers as well as cross-functional partners including engineers; and available for all key meetings throughout normal working hours
- Writer who is comfortable with a fast pace, familiarity with design topics, and capable of resolving ambiguity in order to identify guidelines.
- Experience working in an agile development environment and comfort working in a fast-paced environment
- Practiced at iterative ideation and deliverables, seeking and receiving feedback as a natural part of the product development process, and finding opportunities inside of requirements and constraints
- A strong online portfolio that showcases a variety of high quality writing work to prove it all
ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS:
Qualified candidates will be invited to do a screening interview with the Braintrust staff. We will answer your questions about the project, and our platform. If we determine it is the right fit for both parties, we'll invite you to join the platform and create a profile to apply directly for this project.
C2C Candidates: This role is not available to C2C candidates working with an agency. If you are a professional contractor who has created an LLC/corp around their consulting practice, this is well aligned with Braintrust and we’d welcome your application.
Braintrust values the multitude of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.