Big Data Engineer
Engineering | Remote | Full Time
JOB TYPE: Freelance, Contract Position - No agencies (See notes below)
LOCATION: Remote (TimeZone: BST, CST, EST)
HOURLY RANGE: Our client is looking to pay $100 - $123 USD / HR
ESTIMATED DURATION: 40Hrs/Week - Long Term, 6-month project
Braintrust (usebraintrust.com) is a user-controlled talent network, where you keep 100% of what you earn and actually get to own the platform. We've been onboarding some big clients and specifically need a Big Data Engineer for our client.
About our client:
We own and develop targeting products. We are responsible for bringing world-class targeting solutions to our advertisers. We succeed only when our customers can reach their intended audience. Our work includes iterating on the architecture, technology, design patterns, and workflows for products that enable our advertisers to target Twitter users.
Come build the next generation of products that empower marketers to tell the most interesting, relevant stories in the world, and make a meaningful contribution to an iconic company.
Who You Are:
You are excited to join an incredibly talented and enthusiastic team, which loves to tackle new challenges. You like a dynamic & fun environment, believe in our client's mission in the world, and want to be a core actor in pushing it forward.
If you are an analytical thinker who enjoys complex math problems and algorithm design we would like to talk with you. We look forward to working with people who share our passion for good engineering fundamentals and making decisions grounded in data. We sweat the details.
What You’ll Do:
You will take up the task of allowing Twitter’s largest advertisers to plan their campaigns with confidence on one side and will be working with our science team on defining the best audience for our clients. You’ll collaborate with data scientists, digging into massive datasets in order to discover insights that can improve the quality of our forecasts. You’ll develop the algorithms in our online forecasting service, turning those insights into working code. You’ll enhance our data pipelines, marshalling and optimizing the information we need to answer queries. And you’ll own a significant product surface at Twitter, caring about operational quality and the metrics that illustrate that we’re helping our customers be successful.
We’d like to talk to you if:
- 3+ years industry experience working with confidence on a massive scale, microservice-based tech stack that (required) Scala, Hadoop, Google Cloud technology, especially dataflow, and Aurora/Mesos.
- You have a track record of implementing simple, elegant solutions / great products across complex distributed systems.
- You’ve demonstrated an ability to excel in whatever you pursue (whether it's work, school, competitions, open source contributions, personal projects, etc.—you've always stood out and succeeded)
- You have experience with a diverse range of frameworks/technologies, whether through work or side projects, with special interest in batch or streaming data processing technologies.
- You have a sound grasp on OOP concepts, data structures and algorithms.
- You have a disciplined approach to writing unit and integration tests.
- MUST have working knowledge of Scala
- MUST have experience with Dataflow, Hadoop or other MapReduce-based architectures
- Experience with Redis, Memcached, MySQL or other key value stores
- You easily articulate complex concepts in writing and speech.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science
ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS:
Qualified candidates will be invited to do a screening interview with the Braintrust staff. We will answer your questions about the project, and our platform. If we determine it is the right fit for both parties, we'll invite you to join the platform and create a profile to apply directly for this project.
C2C Candidates: This role is not available to C2C candidates working with an agency. If you are a professional contractor who has created an LLC/corp around their consulting practice, this is well aligned with Braintrust and we’d welcome your application.
Braintrust values the multitude of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.