Backend Developer (Freelance Contract, Remote)
Product Development | Remote, - / +4 hrs from PDT | Full Time and Contract
ESTIMATED HOURS PER WEEK: 40hrs (Full-time opportunity)
JOB TYPE: Freelance, Contract Position
CONTRACT DURATION: Long-term, ongoing project
LOCATION: Remote (MUST be located in US or Canada to apply. This role is not available to agencies.)
Braintrust (usebraintrust.com) is a user-controlled talent network, where you keep 100% of what you earn and actually get to own the platform. We've been onboarding some big clients and specifically need an experienced backend developer to join this highly innovative, enterprise-level team.
ABOUT OUR CLIENT & PROJECT
Our client is an online hub for you and the broader local community. Their purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a local community they can rely on.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for our client. T
The Project / Position:
Our client is looking for a Backend Developer to join our team where you will have the opportunity to make key contributions across their engineering stack. In addition to writing code, you’ll have the opportunity to help define the features that they build, through internal collaboration, and in some cases, talking to customers/members to understand how we can better serve them. You’ll also get the chance to collaborate with product managers and designers to drive ourclient forward. We believe engineers should have a stake over all aspects of the product - from coming up with the next big ideas to build, through helping set expectations and plan roadmaps, all the way through understanding the impact of new features through rigorous data analysis.
Backend project examples you’ll be working on:
- Improving small business and public agency search capabilities
- Enhancing the matching process between users and businesses
- Assist with onboarding new partners and integrating them into our ecosystem (i.e.Square)
As part of the team focused on web development, you will be working alongside and collaborating with other full-stack and back-end engineers, product managers, and designers running in two-week agile sprints to continuously build and deploy new features and functionality while ensuring we work on the right things in the right way.
Skills / Requirements:
- 5+ years experience with Python and Django OR Java
- 5+ years experience with MySQL/PostgreSQL
- 3+ years of AWS or GCP experience
- Nice to have: experience with GoLang
- Experience with data technologies such as KV: DynamoDB/ MongoDb/Cassandra, Kinesis or Kafka, HDFS, Hive/Spark/Flink, ElasticSearch
- Tools you will be using: Linux/Unix/Mac, Git, Jira/Asana/Trello, Datadog
- You think about “why we are doing things”
- We operate like a startup so any small company or startup experience is very helpful!
- Strong testing, debugging and architecture skills
- Experience building and deploying flexible backend systems at scale
- Strong API design concepts
- Strong fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS
Qualified candidates will be invited to fill out a short screening questionnaire and learn more about our model. If we determine it is the right fit for both parties, we'll invite you to join the platform and create a profile to apply directly for this project. Candidates will be invited to bid on additional projects that are a fit as well.