Engineering | Addison, TX | Full Time
ABOUT Bottle Rocket:
Headquartered in Dallas, Bottle Rocket is a mobile/connected device specialist that defines, designs, and develops applications that connect future-focused brands to their customers and employees. Through sophisticated, yet simple, technology-enabled experiences, our partners strengthen their businesses through enhanced user and brand interactions. Our more than 350 (and counting) iOS, Android, streaming device, wearable, AR/VR, voice, web, and TV experiences have set new standards in connecting people to what they want and are redefining how they live their lives. Some of the world’s leading brands, like Coca-Cola, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Chick-fil-A, Mary Kay, Kimberly Clark, Southwest Airlines, and Hallmark have relied on Bottle Rocket to create custom digital and mobile experiences that connect them to their customers.
Bottle Rocket is a mobile specialist at the center of WPP, the world’s largest communications and customer experience services group. We are proud to be a part of WPP alongside many other industry leaders like Ogilvy & Mather, Young & Rubicam, JWT, Grey, Wunderman, and AKQA.
To learn more, visit us at bottlerocketstudios.com.
ABOUT working for Bottle Rocket:
Bottle Rocket is a rapidly growing specialist at the forefront of connected device revolution. Our team is comprised of mature, self-motivated professionals who bring passion to their craft. We do what it takes to get the job done, but never stop trying to improve ourselves and our services. By day, we sweat the details and build awesome mobile and digital experiences – and our passion doesn’t end there. After hours, we’re those people standing in line for the latest technologies and attending industry meet ups searching for more knowledge. Bottle Rocket not only exceeds standards – we set new ones (and have fun while doing it).
We take pride in our employees and their future. We have repeatedly been named to the Dallas Business Journal's Best Places to Work, The Dallas Morning News Top 100 Places to Work, and the Inc. 500. Our work has won an unprecedented number of Apple Hall of Fame awards, among many other industry recognitions. We have also been featured in Forbes as one of America’s Most Promising Companies. And our Founder and CEO was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year for our region.
It’s our duty to stay at the forefront of what’s next, and in our world, that means continuous innovation. It’s more than just a buzz word. It’s our day to day and the heartbeat of our Rocketeers. We believe innovation is the result of curiosity and the desire to make a difference. Innovation is a strategic imperative we use to deliver relevant offerings to help our clients stay ahead of the competition. Innovation that rapidly turns into execution is our strength.
With tens of millions of users interacting with our work every day, Bottle Rocket’s future promises continued growth in all areas of our business. If you are passionate about what you do and having fun while doing it, Bottle Rocket may be the place for you.
To learn more, visit us at bottlerocketstudios.com.
ABOUT This Position: Systems Architect
Design and articulate systems and serverless solutions for clients to help achieve business goals. Track development, integration, and serverless industry technology trends and best practices and share within the organization, plus offer thought leadership externally. Knowledgeable about system development standards (Java, Kotlin, node.js, serverless, Mobile Middleware), and familiar with cloud solution design for AWS and GCP.
- Track the latest developments and direction of system design and provide a point of view for the company. Contribute to the technology roadmap for Bottle Rocket.
- Aware of technology trends and provide a point of view on how they impact system design – microservices, serverless, API management platforms (ex. APIGEE, Mulesoft), CRM, machine learning, IOT, AR/VR, natural language interfaces, voice, etc.
- Assist business development team with new project estimates and drive conversations with client IT stakeholders as required
- Able to translate a client’s business goals into achievable technical strategies and high level requirements, keeping user experience, performance, security and privacy as a top priority
- Work with marketing to provide thought leadership through blog posts, community involvement and speaking engagements
- Evaluate potential candidates for technical partnerships such as SaaS platforms, SDK’s, or technology enablement
- Maintain confidentiality of client credentials, components of statistical work, client documents, proprietary system design and trade secrets
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- When requested, provide system design / serverless consulting services to clients to help establish technology roadmaps.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or related field
- 3+ years of software architecture experience
- 10+ years of professional backend programming
- Strong communication skills with a high emphasis on the ability to explain technology in business terms and to express opinions clearly
- Understanding of security and compliance and the impact as it relates to mobile and web applications, specifically GDPR, HIPAA, PCI, DRM, Accessibility
- 5+ years developing backend systems with JVM languages
- Experience with microservice environments
- Experience with AWS or GCP
- Willingness and interest in functional programming concepts
- Relational/non-relational database experience
- Familiarity with Linux
- Work with fellow engineers and business stakeholders to understand requirements
- Learn new technologies quickly and effectively, as necessary
- Tremendous initiative and self-direction
- Experience working in agile teams
- Working knowledge of Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) principles.
- Willingness to mentor and provide technical training to other developers
- Experience creating projects from the ground up to business requirements with minimal guidance.
- Strong passion for technology – the "geek gene" that loves to tinker, learn, and explore. This isn't a tag-line – tell us specifically what you're passionate about!
- Solutions oriented – ability to creatively solve problems on the fly
- Embrace Bottle Rocket’s maker culture - early adopter / innovator
- Self-driven and self-managed, good time management skills
- Ability to make decisions and drive initiatives to completion
- Able to work in a fast-paced, extremely team-oriented environment
- Regular attendance at work is required for successful performance
- Background in software development – understanding of object oriented and functional programming concepts, as well as software design patterns and principles
- Expert knowledge of software architecture
- Experience defining API’s, Systems, and Frameworks
- Multiple applications and/or libraries in personal portfolio
- Knowledge of AWS, Jenkins, git / gitflow, and development tools (memory / debugging, static code analysis, testing frameworks)
- Professional Java or Kotlin
- Open source contributions
- Technical blogs
- Active in local meetups or tech community
This position has no supervisory responsibilities or direct reports, but may at times be responsible for kicking off a new project or training/mentoring developers.
Contacts with this Position:
Work with all levels within the company including executive leadership. Heavy interaction with clients and potential clients.
- Lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds
- Good hearing and listening
- Clear speech in the English language
- Reach with hands and arms throughout day
- Talk clearly
- Hear within normal range
- Sit for up to 8 hours or more
- Mental/Reasoning Requirements
- Reading – Complex
- Writing – Complex
- Judgment/Decision Making
- Advanced Math skills