Reading Guide - Oakland and Richmond
Tutoring | Oakland, CA | Part Time and Temporary
Are you interested in gaining experience in education programming and impacting the lives of elementary students one book at a time? Are you whip-smart, self-motivated, and excited to get in on the ground floor of a growing ed-tech startup founded right here in the Bay Area?
We are seeking qualified candidates for our Reading Guide positions at our school sites in Oakland and Richmond. Each BookNook school site will have a team of Reading Guides working with elementary students. The Reading Guides will work directly with students, meeting regularly with them and using our tablet-based curriculum to help children overcome their personal hurdles.
Tutoring occurs Monday - Friday, from 8:30am - 6pm (depending on the school site). Reading Guides must commit to working at least 6 hours/week.
Reading Guides need to:
- Make a minimum commitment to work at least 10 hours/week from September through June. Consistent, ongoing support is necessary for the children and teachers with whom we work
- Possess the technical skills to use the BookNook curriculum and platform to tutor/mentor students (All of which are on a tablet)
- Review student progress notes and prior assessment notes prior to each tutoring session, then complete progress notes after each tutoring session
- Be punctual, attentive, and engaged in tutoring sessions
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- A deep appreciation and love of reading!
- Willingness to learn about tutoring strategies and receive feedback
- Patience working with students who need help learning
- Access to reliable transportation
- Ability to work independently or with limited supervision
- Ability to commit to a schedule and be punctual (this is essential to the position)
- Strong communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Interact effectively with diverse groups of people
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective and professional role model for students
- Complete background check
- Show proof of negative TB test (must be current)
- Bilingual a plus (Spanish speaking preferred)
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
TYPICAL PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
WORK SCHEDULE AND COMPENSATION
This is a part-time, non-exempt position paying $14/hour. Tutors must be available to work at least 10 hours with availability Monday through Friday 8:30 to 5:00pm. In order to for students to reach academic goals for year, tutors will need to commit from September through June.