Sr. Software Developer
Development | Portland, OR | Full Time
BlueVolt is an innovative education technology company focused on delivering solutions that our customers love. Interest in our products and services is skyrocketing; usage is up 88% year over year. Our flagship product is a platform for online learning for the manufacturing, construction and service industries.
The BlueVolt solution improves people’s performance to drive business growth. Our learning platform and solutions allow our customers to share in an industry-specific ecosystem of extended learning. Manufacturers can ensure learning around their products reaches their entire channel. Distributors can develop a productive, profitable and happy workforce. BlueVolt believes that knowledge powers growth and our customers know this to be true.
Position Summary: Help develop software that customers love while working in an Agile development environment. You'll help ensure high quality standards and will work with the team to develop effective processes for managing all aspects of software development. You will be a core contributor to the platform and will participate in other software and infrastructure projects as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design and author highly functional and aesthetically pleasing software for our product lines, including the BlueVolt LMS, web portals and other software projects.
- Develop client requirements, estimate, advise upon, and deliver the appropriate solution.
- Improve configuration management practices and development processes.
- Develop automated tests and follow Test-Driven Development practices.
- Provide technical support, training, and subject matter expertise to clients and BlueVolt employees.
- Help build development team guidelines and reinforcement their practice.
- Work with management and team on identifying obstacles and removing them
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
- Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses. Pursues training and development opportunities. Seeks feedback to improve performance. Shares expertise with others. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Customer Service - Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Planning & Organization - Integrates changes smoothly. Plans for additional resources. Prioritizes and plans work activities. Sets goals and objectives. Uses time efficiently. Works in an organized manner.
- Problem Solving - Develops alternative solutions. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Identifies problems in a timely manner. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Use of Technology - Adapts to new technologies. Demonstrates required skills. Keeps technical skills up to date. Troubleshoots technological problems. Uses technology to increase productivity.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 5+ years of experience with the .NET platform or anything equivalent that can be transferable.
- Excellent object-oriented design & programming skills, including the application of design patterns and avoidance of anti-patterns
- Experience working in a collaborative team of application developers and source code repositories. GitHub preferred.
- Solid programming experience with languages like C#/Python, WCF, Restful services using WEB API, and ASP.NET MVC or any similar framework with transferable skills.
- Experience with SQL and SQL Server Database Programming
- Experience with TDD using nUnit and MS Test, Auto Tests (Selenium is preferred)
- Agile/SCRUM Software Development Process