Senior Director of Engineering
Development | Portland, OR | Full Time
BlueVolt is an innovative education technology company focused on delivering solutions that our customers love. Interest in our products and services is skyrocketing; usage is up 88% year over year. Our flagship product is a platform for online learning for the manufacturing, construction and service industries.
The BlueVolt solution improves people’s performance to drive business growth. Our learning platform and solutions allow our customers to share in an industry-specific ecosystem of extended learning. Manufacturers can ensure learning around their products reaches their entire channel. Distributors can develop a productive, profitable and happy workforce. BlueVolt believes that knowledge powers growth and our customers know this to be true.
This position will grow and inspire a high-caliber team of customer focused engineers, using technology to enable our growing business. This leader will work with their team to build a reliable technology stack using industry best practices, ensuring the architecture is flexible and scalable. You’ll be responsible for consistently delivering meaningful features, applications and technology solutions that solve business problems. You’ll consistently communicate and deliver to commitments and increase the velocity of our teams by removing roadblocks. This is a strategic role that requires a strong partnership with other functions across the company.
- Build, develop, and manage a world-class engineering team, inspiring them by effectively communicating and engaging the team members in the company strategy
- Build a strong long-term technology strategy that aligns with the company strategic plan and influences the overall company direction
- Develop standards and procedures to ensure quality standards are met and maintained
- Understand and collaborate with the product team on product lifecycle from concept to execution
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for technology spending and initiatives
- Drive agile product and platform development, manage programs and leverage flexible operating models across different geographies, globally
- Partner with other senior leaders across the company to translate technology capabilities into strategic business decisions
- Drive accountability and metrics ownership to translate strategy into results
- Be a technical leader to our teams; grow internal talent, support our employer brand, and create opportunities for employees to learn and grow at BlueVolt
- Develop and implement all technology policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, purchasing and service provision
- Oversee provision of end-user services, including help desk and technical support services.
- Keep current with the latest technologies
- Experience in B2B SaaS companies with a proven track record of building applications and technology that delight and engage customers and foster growth
- 5+ years of engineering management experience in high-growth engineering organizations
- Lead the Technology function’s operational and strategic planning, including fostering innovation, planning projects and organizing the allocation of resources
- Proven experience building, growing, retaining and inspiring a world-class team of customer-focused technologists
- extensive experience building large-scale technology and applications that are reliable, scalable, secure, and highly performant using industry best practices
- High level knowledge of different technology disciplines (Product, Security, DevOps, Data Protection) and ability to grow engineers in these work streams
- Experience in C#, C++, or related languages
- Knowledge of Angular, API architecture and SQL is preferred
- Microsoft Azure experience is preferred but not required. Amazon AWS is also acceptable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to present ideas and project status clearly, concisely, and accurately to a broad audience
- Vendor management and negotiation experience