Editorial | New York, NY | Full Time
We are the social voice of sports – creating and collaborating on the culture of sports for the next generation of fans. Its vision for making sports bigger than games has led to unmatched engagement. Bleacher Report also provides an industry-leading fan experience on mobile devices through the highly addictive Bleacher Report app. Follow the action at bleacherreport.com and through Instagram @BleacherReport.
About the Role:
As a Trending Writer, you will report and write several topical stories per week to drive audience around high-value, general interest sports content. You will be tasked with creating high-traffic stories through social platforms that spark conversation. You will also have the opportunity to write and travel for occasional deep-dive features. Writers will work closely with the Senior Editor, the Programming department and the Special Projects team to continuously brainstorm distinctive ideas for original content based on what's trending in the intersection of sports, news and sports-culture.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- 25% Conceiving content ideas that can drive traffic through social platforms and spark conversation, focusing on the intersection of sports, news and pop culture. Collaborate with writers, editors, producers and company managers to address potential violations in a timely, thorough manner.
- 65% Report and write several topical stories per week to drive audience around high-value, general interest sports content while helping to establish and maintain a distinctive editorial voice
- 10% Travel to write and report longer, deep-dive features.
- Demonstrates proficiency in most areas of professional function and in-depth specialization in some.
- Is able to receive work in the form of short-term assignments that often require application of independent judgement.
- Interacts with internal and external peers and managers on brand-critical issues.
- Operates with context of defined procedures.
- 2 years of journalism experience at college level or 1 year at professional level
- Experience in quick turnaround editorial environment preferred
- Creative, mobile-first thinker who can consistently conceive fresh content ideas
- Able to report stories by placing phone calls instead of waiting for emails
- Strong knowledge of a wide variety of sports
- Able to write quickly and follow AP style of news reporting
- Able to incorporate media into written content (pictures, videos, tweets, etc.)
- Able to adapt to changing protocols for publishing
- Proficient with Google Docs, Google Spreadsheets, and various social media devices
- Able to communicate effectively and have strong organizational skills
Bleacher Report is a division of Turner. Turner and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled. Turner and its subsidiaries are E-Verify users.