Quality Editor (Temporary)
Editorial | San Francisco, CA | Temporary
Bleacher Report is one of Turner's leading digital businesses. It is the site of choice for the next generation of sports fans. B/R attracts millions of sports fans every month with its fun, comprehensive, and entertaining team-based content. Since being acquired by Turner Sports in August 2012, the company has gained all the advantages of a large media company while maintaining its vibrant start-up culture.
About the role:
B/R is seeking a temporary quality editor to review articles for placement in high-profile programming channels, such as the site’s home page and on CNN, to supplement coverage during a busy four-month period.
Quality editors are responsible for reviewing all content bound for these channels, assuring the highest quality in regard to writing mechanics, analytical arguments, factual/statistical support, copy editing, multimedia elements and formatting prior to approval.
Quality editors must also communicate efficiently and effectively across teams to fix substantive issues. Successful candidates will possess the right balance of sports expertise, prior editing experience, familiarity with established editorial standards and practices, exceptional communication skills, and dedication to the team's mission to grow and protect the site.
This is a temporary position requiring full-time hours, with the ideal candidate working within commuting distance of B/R's San Francisco office. Telecommuting will be considered for exceptional candidates.
The position requires a flexible work schedule, including the ability to work nights and weekends.
* Prior editing experience in sports journalism
* Expert knowledge in all or most of the major U.S. and European sports covered by Bleacher Report
* Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
* High attention to detail
* Experience with all forms of digital and social media; ability to quickly fact-check content and evaluate the credibility of source material
* Positive attitude, patient demeanor and ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
* Ability to multi-task without sacrificing attention to detail
* Proficiency with the following (or similar) resources: Gmail, Slack, Google Hangout, Google Docs/Forms
* Degree in journalism, English, communication studies or related field
* Prior writing experience in sports journalism
* Direct prior experience or familiarity with Bleacher Report content, writers and programming channels (B/R app, social media pages, site homepage, newsletters, etc.)
Interested applicants should submit a resume AND a cover letter describing their specific qualifications for the position. Applicants who do not include a cover letter with their resume will not be considered.
Turner and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled. Turner and its subsidiaries are E-Verify users.