Deputy Editor, Original Editorial
Content | SF, NY or Remote | Full Time
Bleacher Report is a leading digital media source for sports content and conversation. We cover the biggest names, news and trends in sports while also offering targeted content for fans of every team. Follow the action on the B/R App and at bleacherreport.com
About the role:
This is a full-time position. We are looking for an enthusiastic MLB and College Sports expert who is eager to plan and oversee text coverage of these sports' biggest names, teams and events, as well as join our production of content around other sports, including NFL, NBA, MMA and Olympics.
The Deputy Editor will work with Bleacher Report's full Editorial team, as well as its Programming, Analytics and Quality Control departments, to plan, assign, track and distribute content.
The Deputy Editor will help build and maintain our writer base, assign topics to writers, develop story ideas and review published content. They will target goals around reader engagement that incorporates the full breadth of B/R's distribution platforms. This is not a writing position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Tracking MLB, College Football and College Basketball news.
- Tracking news across a mix of sports and leagues, depending on the season, as part of a core team of editors.
- Optimizing expert analysis and feature reporting to fit B/R's mission around App growth and Social engagement.
- Developing feature and news-based story ideas for a wide variety of text content.
- Communicating with writers, editors and programmers to maximize the quality and reach of text content.
- Identifying prospective writers and developing current writers.
- Working nights and weekends as called for by games, events and news.
- Planning and executing text coverage strategy around major events like trade deadlines, playoffs and other seasonal tentpoles.
- 3+ years experience creating or organizing sports content.
- Deep familiarity with the sports media landscape across all platforms, with a keen eye for what attracts loyal, engaged users.
- Strong communication skills.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and at ease with the Google digital suite.
- 3+ years experience working regularly with digital publishing systems.
- Remote location OK, if not based near New York City or San Francisco B/R office.
Turner and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled. Turner and its subsidiaries are E-Verify users.