Artist - UI Art / UX Designer
Art | Vancouver, BC, Canada
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a creative, artistically talented, and technically minded UX Designer / UI Artist. Do you enjoy solving problems at a conceptual level, but also love figuring out the details when it comes time to make those conceptual ideas concrete? You will work with our Designers and Artists to conceive of, iterate on, and implement the final UI for our upcoming game.
Blackbird and its team of industry veterans are creating the first original Homeworld game in more than a decade. Building on the gameplay and technology they started developing long ago on HARDWARE: Shipbreakers, they are now working in collaboration with Gearbox software to create Homeworld: Shipbreakers, a thrilling prequel to the Homeworld saga.
- Help organize and assemble layouts for the game, and apply and maintain a consistent art style throughout the entire project interface
- Create meaningful UX deliverables such as storyboards, wireframes, flowcharts and prototypes that help the team understand what to build
- Work collaboratively within a team of developers to implement UI components and create an intuitive UI experience
- Drive and support your ideas all the way through the successful launch of a project
- A minimum of 2 years experience as a UX designer, information architect, visual designer, interaction designer, user interface designer, or similar role
- At least one shipped product
- Proven capability to work on multidisciplinary project teams, able to handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience creating wireframes, low-fidelity and high-fidelity interactive prototypes using standard tools of the design trade (ex: Visio, Axure, Photoshop, Omnigraffle)
- An understanding of UI, and usability principals
- Available for full time & on-site work in Vancouver, BC
- A degree in design, human-computer interaction, cognitive science, human factors or related field
- Traditional 2D sketching and composition skills, prototyping skills with tools such as Adobe Flash / Microsoft Blend
- Experience playing modern RTS games such as Starcraft and Company of Heroes, as well as MOBA's like League of Legends.
- Demonstrated passion for entertainment products / media (i.e. comics, movies, novels, etc.)
- Unity 3D Experience
- Competitive salary
- Vacation and sick day allowances
- Certain applicants may be eligible for Health and Dental, and/or stock options
- Other studio programs related to maintaining the health and well being of our staff
Applications must include a cover letter and resume.
Blackbird's Recent Press:
- There's a New Homeworld Game Coming: http://kotaku.com/theres-a-new-homeworld-game-coming-1237630088
- Hardware: Shipbreakers Becomes an Official Homeworld Sequel: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127385-Hardware-Shipbreakers-Becomes-an-Official-Homeworld-Sequel