Engineering | VANCOUVER, Bit Quill Technologies, Inc, Canada | Full Time
Bit Quill is hiring!
We are a Vancouver-based software company created by developers for developers. We’re building a community of smart, collaborative people who love working in the data and cloud space and who want to further our core values of teamwork, relationships, excellence and ethics.
We work hard as a team to be customer-centric; our customers are top tier companies innovating at the frontiers of big data and cloud computing. The work we do alongside them is innovative and exciting - our technical focus is mostly on query processing; distributed execution; data mapping, processing, movement and integration; microservices; and, related technologies. We are constantly expanding our shared skill set through internal education and hiring.
At Bit Quill, we know that we are most successful when our team members are happy, supported and able to meet their career goals. Alongside the usual benefits, we are an employee owned company and we provide well-deserved financial compensation for meeting career milestones you’ve set for yourself. We also employ a Developer and Culture Champion, who is committed to helping our developers create the change they want to see within our workplace.
A Little About You
- You’re an empathetic and ethical individual who likes to have fun and is excited to empower your team and use your positive, inclusive attitude to energize the people around you. You work with your team to identify their personal needs, interests and goals.
- You’re dependable, responsible and resourceful, and love to find ways over, around, and through barriers. You are looking for a company that challenges you to grow and strive for excellence. You proactively identify the root of problems and create sustainable solutions.
- You use your strong technical skills to correctly assess challenging problems, maintain software development best practices, and jump right in and help your team with whatever they need when necessary.
- High level knowledge of topics such as database internals, query processing, relational and non-relational data representation, data storage and transfer, and distributed execution.
- 4+ years experience managing a team of 5+ software developers in a software specific company. Responsibilities should include: scheduling, scoping, project delivery, managing career growth of team members, managing team composition, compensation, and staffing decisions including hiring and dismissal.
- 5+ years experience working with Java or C++. Experience with both is preferred.
- Back-end development experience.
- Experience with JIRA, Azure DevOps or equivalent project tracking and planning tools.
- Experience providing technical leadership in the form of design, coding, reviews, and test methodology and documentation.
- Proven record of successful on-time delivery of projects with a high degree of predictability and quality.
- Experience communicating and managing expectations with external customers.
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent relevant education or experience.
- Ability to travel to the US.
Helpful Skills and Experience
- Proven ability to foster relationships with customers, or other stakeholders.
- Experience with remote client stakeholders and development teams.
- Experience in SQL and databases including RDBMS, Big Data and/or NoSQL, AWS, Azure, and/or GCP.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Engaging in customer-facing project discussions on a daily basis, remaining visible and accessible to the customer and actively monitoring their satisfaction level.
- Building strong relationships with the customer in order to fully understand the customer's perspective and innovate new ways to add value to the customer’s end product.
- Writing concise, clear, precise, and well-organized documents, including weekly status reports that are informative, easy to understand, and to the point.
- Using clear and timely communication to keep both your team and your customers well informed at all times, ensuring that customers are fully aligned on what we are delivering to them.
- Communicating openly with the leadership team on a regular basis.
- Driving and owning the entire software development lifecycle while providing hands-on technical oversight of your projects including design, coding, reviews, testing and documentation.
- Staying up-to-date on project technologies and ensuring projects are following software development lifecycle best practices.
- Using your technical knowledge to quickly break down challenging software problems, determine feasibility of solutions, and quickly propose solutions at a high level.
- Independently managing multiple concurrent projects from kickoff to final delivery using an Agile approach, with a focus on SCRUM processes.
- Providing input on team composition; compensation; and staffing decisions.
- Successfully planning and executing complex features with long time frames with the goal of delivering excellent software on time.
- Negotiating deadlines and setting expectations with the customer and your team so there are no surprises for the customer and your team is protected from overcommitment.
- Coaching team members toward excellence by creating explicit opportunities for them to achieve their desired career growth and gain technical, project management, and leadership skills.
- Engaging in leadership meetings and in efforts to consistently improve company best practices, policies, processes and shared knowledge.
- Embodying our core values of Teamwork, Relationships, Excellence, and Ethics.
- Participating in the development of an inclusive, ethical, welcoming, helpful, diverse, fun work culture.