Enterprise Data Manager
IT | Berkeley, CA | Full Time
Backroads is the world’s leading active travel company and we’re growing—simultaneously scaling our capacity to delight more guests, scaling the quality of what we deliver, and scaling our amazing company culture. We believe in creating experiences on the road less traveled. We think that exploring a landscape through your own power (bike or hike) affords you an authentic connection. We love a little luxury along the way, but not the affected kind. If you’re looking for an opportunity with an established company—we’re now in our 40th year!—and you like working in a tightly knit, collaborative, and dynamic environment where you’ll have ownership of your areas, you’ll fit right in!
About the Job:
Backroads is rolling out a portfolio of new enterprise systems to optimize our business as we continue to evolve and grow through innovation, increasing our capacity, improving the quality of the experiences we deliver, and evolving our people and how we work together. At the same time we are evolving our IT team into a high functioning service organization; supporting business growth and user needs. You will assume a leadership position within a talented IT team implementing several enterprise systems impacting most areas of the business, all within a short timeframe. In this role, you will design strategies and direct the implementation of technical initiatives to enable and maintain efficient and secure access to and distribution of Backroads corporate data. You will develop policies and procedures needed to manage our data and govern its use. You will work with the business to understand and implement requirements for data analytics. This is a full-time regular position.
- Work with business stakeholders and outside experts to formulate an enterprise data strategy for Backroads
- Build, maintain, and evolve an enterprise data architecture for the company, to include master data management, metadata, logical data model, normalization rules, access, distribution and security
- Develop a roadmap of initiatives to implement and maintain all aspects of the data strategy and architecture; execute on the roadmap by managing approved initiatives and engaging internal and external resources
- Participate in the technical feasibility and suitability evaluation and influence the selection of technologies that support data storage, access, management, distribution, and analysis
- Create and enforce operating policies and procedures for data management, access, privacy, and security
- Establish and monitor the execution of database utility processes and periodic maintenance tasks
- Working with the infrastructure management team, perform periodic database capacity planning, and develop contingency plans and applications software systems recovery and restoration procedures to cover various data failure scenarios
- Manage a small team of technical staff to assign/delegate, and monitor work, set and adjust priorities, review and provide constructive feedback on results, and define and implement professional development plans
- Hire, train, develop, and monitor performance for direct staff for success. Make recommendations for resource optimization.
- 5+ years’ experience in data architecture, data modeling, physical database design, data management, data security, analytics, and system integration
- 3+ years working with a variety of modern database/big data technologies such as Hadoop and data lakes; ETL, integration, and replication technologies (Informatica); data visualization tools (Tableau, Salesforce Einstein); SEO/SEM; digital asset management/content management; cloud-based systems (AWS, Salesforce, Microsoft Azure); and database encryption
- Expert-level knowledge of SQL and query optimization
- Expert-level knowledge of Windows-based scripting languages
- Familiarity with global data security, privacy, and compliance frameworks such as HIPAA, SOC 2, and ISO 2700x
- 5+ years experience with full life-cycle systems development/implementation for both commercial off-the-shelf and custom-developed applications using waterfall and Agile methodologies
- 5+ years’ experience managing teams of 5-10 technical personnel, including technical mentorship, talent development, and performance management
- Hands-on experience with Atlassian collaboration tools (JIRA, Confluence)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, Mathematics, or a related field.
You are an experienced technical professional with deep expertise in modern data constructs, disciplines, and technologies. You understand the full lifecycle of software development as it applies to both commercial and custom-developed software applications. You are a self-starter, action-oriented, detail-oriented and have the ability to solve problems, multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines. You are a strong leader of people and teams; able to delegate, motivate, celebrate, advocate and also make tough decisions when necessary.. You have worked in a collaborative, flat organization where influence is critical to success, and you excel at asking questions that illuminate barriers to implementation and then identifying and executing solutions. You delight in collaborating cross-functionally and helping to resolve difficult technical, resource, and schedule issues in a fast-paced environment. You are flexible and can adapt your style to include the variety of approaches used by Backroads and our vendors.
Perks and Benefits:
- Travel Credit towards any of our amazing trips, and doesn't count as Time off!
- Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.