Senior System Engineer (Dev Ops)
Products | Amsterdam, Netherlands | Full Time
We are Backbase
We come from all over the world to do what we love; to design a great product that improves the lives of real people. We’re passionate, dedicated, and among the best in business. Every person on our team believes in working together and supporting each other to get create a beautifully designed product and a work environment that’s fun, inspiring, and dynamic. We believe in learning from our customers and our colleagues, that makes us easy to do business with and exciting to work for.
We have created the world’s leading lean customer experience platform. It has been designed to help organize, create, and manage deeply relevant customer experiences across all channels, on any device. Backbase Customer Experience Platform (CXP) combines the latest innovations in customer experience design (UX) with next generation technologies to deliver an unbeatable digital experience. Our critically acclaimed customer experience platform eliminates the need to replace existing legacy systems and provides a highly flexible and fully customizable environment populated by powerful widgets. Backbase has been consistently placed in ‘Visionary’ quadrant of Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portal Software and, in 2013, was recognized as the most visionary portal vendor.
The Backbase team is made up of more than 200 senior technology and usability professionals, with offices in some of the world’s most vibrant cities, including: London, New York and Amsterdam. If you’d like to join us in any one of them, we’d love to hear from you.
The Senior System Engineer (Dev Ops) is a member of the Research & Development team. R&D is a multi-disciplinary team of experienced and highly skilled UX designers, software developers, test engineers, technical writers and support engineers, guided by the Chief Architect and the R&D manager. The team is responsible for the entire software development lifecycle of Backbase's portal product suite including out-of-the-box portal solutions. With your experience and skills you will contribute to the quality of our software products, helping to realize successful customer implementations by our Expert Services consultants and partners. You will also benefit from the knowledge and experience of your R&D colleagues. We work in Scrum teams in order to deliver new functionality in every release, closely cooperating with Project and Product Managers, as well as with the Expert Services team. The complexity and nature of the product combined with the latest technology trends makes working in R&D at Backbase a great and challenging experience.
As Senior System Engineer (Dev Ops) you will be working hands-on with the unit’s experts, R&D engineers and other teams within the company, making Operations and IT happen. With your experience and skills you contribute to the ongoing development of our software products, driving your team to deliver great new capabilities. You’ll be working closely with the development teams, architects and other Leads to align on priorities and technical design decisions.
- Strong desire to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment where you have a lot of responsibilities and see immediate impact of your efforts;
- Team player who is passionate about software development and actively shares knowledge;
- Leader by example who takes pride in delivering high-quality software according to plan;
- Flexible, balanced, always striving for improvements.
- Bachelor / University degree or equivalent;
- You have designed and/or built mission critical services (large scale internet or cloud-based services);
- Shell, scripting and Python programming experience;
- Expertise with Linux / Unix systems;
- Experience with any of configuration management tools (such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt);
- Experience with any of continuous integration server (such as Bamboo, Jenkins, TeamCity, GoCD);
- You love efficiency and find smart ways to automate tasks for you and your team;
- Knowledge of cloud computing concepts, experience with AWS, or Azure, or GCE;
- Solid understanding of systems monitoring, alerting and analytics (Zabbix, NewRelic, Cactai, Graphite, Log Stash, Nagios, Ganglia etc.);
- Proven experience with production systems and dealing with production issues;
- Driven, focused self-starter who takes ownership;
- Extensive knowledge and experience with automation tools;
- Experience deploying to application servers such as Jetty, Tomcat, JBoss, Websphere in enterprise environments, and working with Relational and NoSQL Databases;
- Experienced with using Agile development methodologies;
- Excellent communication skills in English
Very nice to have as well:
- Software development background is a big plus;
- Experience programming in Java;
- Insightful opinions about systems architecture;
- Experienced in developing custom solutions for systems monitoring, deployments, continuous integration, etc.
Backbase provides excellent company benefits for this role including:
- Market rate salary (depending on experience);
- 25 holidays (based upon a 40hr work week);
- Contributory pension scheme;
- Free lunch, drinks, snacks and fruit;
- Company fitness plan;
- Potential International career opportunities.
Backbase offers you a challenging job in an informal and ambitious environment where personal development is highly valued. This is all within a successful, young and growing organization with a matching company spirit.
If this job appeals to you and you think you are up for the challenge, please use the apply button on this page.
For more information please contact Wil Wernars, Recruiter, at +31 (0)20 465 8888 or by email: Wil(at)backbase.com