Products | Amsterdam, Netherlands | Full Time
Backbase is hiring | Manager R&D
We believe that people do their best work when they're passionate about the goal, and encourage that pursuit. We have a team of very strong, talented engineers, and require a leader that can demolish roadblocks to progress, optimize for innovative velocity, and continue to help build a culture in which engineers feel a strong sense of pride and ownership in their platform, code, team, and process, and that the organization is providing experiences to our customers that are nothing short of remarkable.
The Manager R&D is responsible for managing all R&D engineers, both employees and contractors (60+). You will closely collaborate with Product Managers, the CTO, and Agile Project Managers to develop, plan, and implement a solid, forward-looking vision for the engineering organization, and ensure that the vision is aligned with organizational objectives. It requires a depth of experience both in hands-on technical skills, as well as leadership, motivation, management and team building abilities. You report directly to the CEO.
- Attracting, recruiting, and retaining capable individuals;
- Establishing mission and purpose for individuals and teams, serving as coach, advisor, and career counselor, and Participate in defining and administering compensation, benefits, and promotions;
- Evaluating individual performance, including team input, and provides input, guidance, corrective actions, and involvement in team building, making personnel changes where necessary;
- Supporting teams in problem identification, root cause analysis, and decision making being a confident, competent manager that doesn’t micromanage by giving teams space to resolve issues on their own, protecting them from distractions, and keeping them on track;
- Assists in aligning teams to the business and program mission. Foster an open innovation culture driven and validated by customer needs by exhibiting and inspiring solution quality and efficiency;
- Coaching teams and improving agile project management and technical practices;
- Building partnerships with near shore development partners, contractors, and all relevant internal and external stakeholders;
- Working with Product Managers, Product Owners, CTO, and Agile Project Managers to help assure strategy alignment and effective execution;
- Assisting Agile Project Managers with release planning readiness and release planning activities;
- Providing other resources as necessary for teams and programs to successfully execute their vision and roadmap;
- Managing the global product support team (24/7 engineering helpdesk).
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field;
- Minimum of 5 years management/leadership experience in a software development organization required;
- Must have at least 10 years experience working through the software design, development, release cycle and delivering software products to market;
- A record of successful delivery of software applications as an individual, team leader and/or development manager.
- Thorough experience with Scrum methodology and Agile practices;
- Pragmatic attitude and very goal driven personality. Getting things done, and passion to create a great product prevails over formal process;
- Ability to empower people and help them to manage themselves as a team versus traditional micromanaging;
- Experience with managing the development and maintenance of business critical Enterprise Software, SaaS, and cloud based applications;
- Natural leader, self-motivated and action/results oriented;
- Well organized with pragmatic problem solving skills and the ability to create structure and successfully under tight project deadlines;
- Driven nature and desire to grow a business, with ability to prioritize, multi-task, and perform effectively under pressure.
Backbase provides excellent company benefits for this role including:
- Market rate salary (depending on experience);
- 25 holidays (based upon a 40hr work week);
- Contributory pension scheme;
- Free lunch, drinks, snacks and fruit;
- Company fitness plan;
- International career opportunities.
Backbase offers you a challenging job in an informal and ambitious environment where personal development is highly valued. This is all within a successful, young and growing organization with a matching company spirit.
If this job appeals to you and you think you are up for the challenge, please use the apply button on this page.
For more information please contact Randy Patist at 020 468 6838 or by email: randyp(at)backbase.com