Chief Technical Officer (CTO)
Products | Amsterdam, Netherlands | Full Time
Backbase is hiring | Chief Technical Officer (CTO)
We are Backbase
We come from all over the world to do what we love; to design a great product that improves the lives of real people. We’re passionate, dedicated, and among the best in business. Every person on our team believes in working together and supporting each other to get create a beautifully designed product and a work environment that’s fun, inspiring, and dynamic. We believe in learning from our customers and our colleagues, that makes us easy to do business with and exciting to work for.
We have created the world’s leading lean customer experience platform. It has been designed to help organize, create, and manage deeply relevant customer experiences across all channels, on any device. Backbase Portal combines the latest innovations in customer experience design (UX) with next generation technologies to deliver an unbeatable digital experience. Our critically acclaimed customer experience platform eliminates the need to replace existing legacy systems and delivers a highly flexible and fully customizable environment populated by powerful widgets. Backbase has been consistently placed in ‘Visionary’ quadrant of Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portal Software and, in 2013, was recognized as the most visionary portal vendor.
The Backbase team is made up of more than 150 senior technology and usability professionals, with offices in four of the world’s most vibrant cities: London, Singapore, New York and Amsterdam. If you’d like to join us in any one of them, we’d love to hear from you.
The CTO is a member of the Backbase R&D management team, and reports directly to the CEO. The CTO assumes responsibility for the technical direction of the Backbase software products portfolio.
As CTO within the R&D team you will work closely with the R&D Manager, who is responsible for development resources and process. You will also work closely with the Product Managers, who are responsible for the functional product strategy. As CTO you will be responsible for guiding and executing the technical product strategy, and you will represent Backbase in strategic technology partnerships.
Backbase R&D consists of a multi-disciplinary team of experienced and highly skilled UX designers, software developers, test engineers, technical writers and support engineers, guided by the R&D management team. The team is responsible for the entire software development lifecycle of Backbase's portal product suite. The complexity and enterprise nature of the product combined with the latest technology trends makes working in R&D at Backbase a great and challenging experience.
- Drives the technology and architectural choices for the Backbase Customer Experience Platform and collaborates closely with R&D tech leads and product / development management;
- Must be able to steer the architecture direction of the Backbase Portal platform, covering all application tiers from database to presentation. As the owner of the overall platform architecture, the CTO drives the technical product roadmap, standardizing on frameworks and technologies for backend, frontend and middleware;
- Is responsible for translating complex requirements into simple and elegant software solutions that meet both functional and nonfunctional requirements across all application layers;
- Works closely with the tech leads and development manager to make sure all development teams develop within the big architectural picture and are well aligned on interdependencies;
- Assists in the selection and recruitment of top notch R&D developers;
- Performs technology deep dive sessions with customers and internal stakeholders (solution architects and senior technology consultants in our expert services group);
- Acts as an architecture leader within the company, bridging disciplines and technologies.
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Understands the expectations of enterprise customers, and places a high value on User Experience and solid architecture design.
- Is able to motivate employees and sustain a culture of creativity, performance and innovation.
- Can balance internal development with technology partnerships for highest productivity
- Has a proven leadership track record (10+ years) in designing and implementing complex, mission-critical and high traffic web applications on rock-solid architecture;
- Has a deep experience of designing the architecture of enterprise web applications, covering aspects such as multi-device and cross-platform support, security, performance, scalability, high availability and application integration;
- Their specialties include: scalable architectures for large scale business critical software applications, enterprise application integration (WOA, SOA), Enterprise Portal and/or Web Content Management (WCM) architecture, frontend technologies, mobile development platforms;
- Is a pragmatic solution finder. Used in making architecture trade-offs and decisions & subsequently drive these decisions throughout the overall product base.
Backbase provides excellent company benefits for this role including:
- Market rate salary (depending on experience);
- 25 holidays (based upon a 40hr work week);
- Contributory pension scheme;
- Free lunch, drinks and fruit;
- Company fitness plan;
- International career opportunities.
Backbase offers you a challenging job in an informal and ambitious environment where personal development is highly valued. This is all within a successful, young and growing organization with a matching company spirit.
If this job appeals to you and you think you are up for the challenge, please use the apply button on this page.
For more information please contact Eveliese Luiting at +31 (0)20 465 8888 or by email: eveliese(at)backbase.com