Senior Staff Attorney - Virginia
Legal | Fairfax, VA | Full Time
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing direct legal and social services, language access, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Through its offices in Washington, DC, and Fairfax, VA, Ayuda has amassed a 45-year history of providing critical services to immigrant communities and, in the process, has acquired nationally recognized expertise in immigration law, domestic violence, and human trafficking, among other fields.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles in order to succeed and thrive in the United States. That families should be healthy and safe from harm. That all people should have access to professional, honest and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country. That diversity and equality make this country better. In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
The position will help launch Ayuda’s family law practice in Virginia. The position will provide comprehensive legal representation to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking in protective order and family law cases, including child custody, child support, and divorce; and provide legal assistance to immigrant children and their caregivers in obtaining Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) findings in family law proceedings.
Specific duties include the following:
- Conduct legal consultations and intakes on family law/SIJS matters.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking in protective order and family law matters, as well as crime victim advocacy in related criminal matters.
- Provide legal advice and counsel in immigrant children’s Special Immigrant Juvenile Status cases generally in the family-law portion, with training and supervision provided by immigration staff as needed.
- Provide referrals to those seeking assistance with services not provided by Ayuda’s legal staff.
- Provide victim-witness orientation and accompaniment when appropriate.
- Support other staff members in the legal department in preparing, reviewing, and collaborating on cases to provide holistic legal representation, as needed.
- Represent Ayuda at local coalition meetings and participate in local and national advocacy initiatives.
- Maintain professional communication with members of law enforcement, fellow practitioners and community partners, as needed and dependent upon caseload.
- Train area service providers, court personnel, and government agencies, including law enforcement.
- Conduct community outreach presentations on domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and issues impacting immigrant children.
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s Social Services staff to ensure provision of holistic services.
- Assist with the preparation and submission of grant applications and reports.
- Provide training, mentorship, and supervision to other attorneys, paralegals and student interns.
- Provide support to Ayuda’s supervisors as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- JD or L.L.M. from accredited law school
- VA Bar admission in good standing required
- 5+ years’ experience in family law desired
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise in family law
- Experience representing immigrants, survivors of trauma and victims of crime preferred
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and knowledge of issues involved in working with diverse populations and crime victims, including survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Spanish. Other languages a plus
- Must be detail oriented and able to comply with deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, must be comfortable conducting presentations
- Must be flexible and able to work under pressure, multitask, and deliver results in a fast-paced environment
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
In line with Ayuda’s salary scale, salary will be commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.