Project END Attorney
Legal | Washington, DC | Full Time
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing direct legal and social services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Through its offices in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA, Ayuda has amassed a 43-year history of providing critical services on a wide range of issues, and in the process, has acquired nationally recognized expertise in immigration law, domestic violence, and human trafficking, among other fields.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles in order to succeed and thrive in the United States. That families should be healthy, united and safe from harm. That all people should have access to professional, honest and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country. That diversity and equality make this country better. In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Oversee management of Ayuda’s Project END:
- Recruit, train, and supervise Immigration & END Program Associate and legal fellows to work within Project END;
- Provide training, mentorship & supervision to Ayuda staff attorneys working on Project END cases;
- Lead strategy for recruiting, training, and placing Project END cases with pro bono attorneys;
- Participate on Ayuda’s Legal Management Committee;
- Provide routine updates on Project END activities and areas of growth to the Ayuda Board;
- Write and submit grant applications for new proposals and renewed funding from ongoing funders as opportunities arise to expand Project END services;
- Ensure compliance with grant requirements and outcomes with support from Finance Director, DC Immigration Associate Director, and other staff as needed.
- Aid in the expansion of Ayuda’s Project END:
- Represent Ayuda at meetings and collaborations with other consumer protection agencies;
- Coordinate and conduct trainings to area service providers and outreach presentations to potential client groups;
- Liaise with DC and Federal agencies to advocate for policies that assist victims through attendance at stakeholder events, conferences, working group meetings, and other industry specific events;
- Lead strategy in media campaigns to educate consumers on avoiding immigration services fraud;
- Provide client centered advocacy:
- Represent and advocate for Project END clients by liaising with law enforcement; filing civil, consumer, bar, and UPL complaints; requesting and reviewing clients' immigration files; and applying for forms of immigration relief;
- Provide direct immigration legal representation in a variety of immigration matters in administrative and judicial proceedings; asylum-seekers; victims of trafficking; victims of crimes; and those seeking other forms of immigration relief;
- Mentor pro bono attorneys both at clinics and in providing ongoing representation in immigration matters and cases involving immigrant victims of fraud.
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- JD required. Bar admission to DC, MD or VA required
- Prior immigration legal experience required
- Experience representing survivors of trauma and victims of crime
- Second language fluency required (Must be able to speak, understand, read and write. Preference given to Spanish and/or Amharic speakers)
- Must be detail oriented and able to comply with deadlines
- Must be organized and able to handle multiple matters simultaneously, as well as able to change direction quickly when required
- Must be able to communicate effectively and clearly to diverse audiences & able to exercise judgment in communications with media and client communities
- Strong writing and editing skills
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
In line with Ayuda’s salary scale, salary will be commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.
Ayuda is an eligible employer for the purposes of the DC Bar Pro Bono Program's Loan Repayment Assistance Program.