Pro Bono Managing Attorney
Legal | DC/MD/VA | Full Time
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services; education; and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in a number of fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA. The Pro Bono Managing attorney will be based in our Takoma, Washington, DC or our Silver Spring, MD office.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Serve as the lead for Ayuda’s thriving Pro Bono program; oversee and grow clinics, pro-bono representation, and network of law firm relationships
- Recruit, train, and mentor pro bono attorneys representing individuals in immigration matters
- Promote pro bono opportunities and establish new and robust relationships with attorneys and law firms not yet in Ayuda’s network
- Plan and manage regular brief services clinic offerings in coordination with other community
- stakeholders and legal service providers
- Identify and implement innovative ways to train and support to pro bono attorneys
- Oversee and improve procedures and protocols, training, and reporting for the program
- Oversee case management of full representation matters evaluated and placed by Ayuda’s pro bono pipeline
- Supervise the Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney and Legal Assistant
- Serve as grant lead for the program’s grants, to include drafting proposals, submitting, amending, monitoring and managing budgets, and ensuring performance measures are met
- Provide input regarding appropriate Ayuda pro bono deliverables are included under various grants in coordination with other grant leads and then work to ensure that such deliverables are met under grants awarded to Ayuda
- Provide the Development team opportunities for forming fundraising partnerships especially from law firms and in-house counsel
- Collaborate with legal staff in the development of pro bono case placements and senior management in the development of pro bono program activities
- Assist in office operations, including case management, data entry and maintenance, and producing regular program reports.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
- J.D. or LL.M from an accredited law school
- Current bar membership in good standing to practice law in any of the United States
- Minimum four years of relevant experience; five or more years preferred
- Immigration legal experience particularly in humanitarian immigration claims such as asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U visas and T visas Experience working with low-income immigrant populations
- An understanding of the private law firm and corporate pro bono culture and the ability to be a well-respected and effective representative of Ayuda’s programs to all stakeholders
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills
- Excellent professional judgment, ability to hit the ground running, multi-task, and work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively; flexibility and good humor highly desirable
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Fluency in written and oral Spanish and English strongly preferred; fluency in English plus another language may be considered as well
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and knowledge of issues involved in working with diverse populations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, must be comfortable presenting Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse multidisciplinary team
- Professionalism with both internal and external customers
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, discrete, resources, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate with a variety of people, both internal and external
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines
- Proven problem solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems, and recommend solutions
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills Strong multi-tasking abilities Strong ethics and sound judgment
- Able to transport and lift moderately heavy materials needed for pro-bono clinics
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.