Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney
Legal | Falls Church, VA | Full Time
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing direct legal and social services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Through its offices in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA, Ayuda has amassed a nearly 50-year history of providing critical services on a wide range of issues, and in the process, has acquired nationally recognized expertise in immigration law, domestic violence, and human trafficking, among other fields.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles to succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy, united, and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
We are seeking a full-time, Spanish-English bilingual Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney who will help expand the organization’s pro bono program with a focus on expansion in Virginia. Ayuda’s pro bono program hosts clinics and places individual matters for full representation. The Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney will be responsible for recruiting, training and mentoring volunteer attorneys to ensure effective pro bono representation of clients before immigration and state courts, and immigration agencies. The Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney will also provide direct representation to a small caseload of clients with immigration legal matters to ensure ongoing familiarity with current DHS/ EOIR practices.
The Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney reports directly to the Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney and will be based in the Falls Church, VA office with frequent travel expected between Ayuda’s three offices in the DMV area.
- Work with the Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney to coordinate and implement immigration legal clinics including logistical planning, pro bono volunteer recruitment, management and training, and follow up and placement of qualifying clients with pro bono counsel
- Provide on-side management and expertise at legal clinics, often held during evening hours and on weekends
- Promote pro bono opportunities by maintaining relationships with law firms, individual volunteers, legal services organizations and community stakeholders
- Develop materials and organize trainings for pro bono attorneys
- Lead case management for potential pro bono matters including performing intake interviews for potential clients, screening cases for placement, responding to inquiries for legal assistance, and matching clients with pro bono attorneys
- Engage in limited direct legal representation of clients in their immigration matters for continuity of representation and to ensure the Coordinating Attorney remains well informed about current law and processes
- Collaborate with legal staff in the development of pro bono case placements and senior management in the development of pro bono program activities
- Assist in office operations, including case management, data entry and maintenance, and produce regular program reports for funders and grantors as needed,
- Participate in internal and external conferences, meetings, and trainings as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director, Associate Legal Directors, and Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- J.D. or LL.M from an accredited law school
- Current bar membership in good standing to practice law in any of the United States
- Immigration legal experience particularly in humanitarian immigration claims such as asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U visas and T visas
- Experience working with low-income immigrant populations
- An understanding of the private law firm and corporate pro bono culture and the ability to be a well-respected and effective representative of Ayuda’s programs to all stakeholders
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent professional judgment, ability to hit the ground running, multi-task, and work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively; flexibility and good humor highly desirable
- Fluency in written and oral Spanish and English
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.
Ayuda is an eligible employer for the purposes of the DC Bar Pro Bono Program's Loan Repayment Assistance Program.