Paralegal, Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Program
Legal | Washington, DC | Full Time
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing direct legal and social services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Through its offices in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA, Ayuda has amassed a 43-year history of providing critical services on a wide range of issues, and in the process, has acquired nationally recognized expertise in immigration law, domestic violence, and human trafficking, among other fields.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles to succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Conduct client intakes and needs assessments in English and Spanish.
- Provide screening, education, information, safety planning and referrals to immigrant victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Manage internal and external referrals for domestic violence/sexual assault survivors.
- Accompany clients to court and help them navigate the court system.
- Assist and support clients with pro se family law matters, under attorney supervision.
- Provide administrative and paralegal support for attorneys, including draft and translate legal documents, subpoenas, discovery and correspondence.
- Assist with community outreach, education and training.
- Assist with volunteer and intern onboarding, training and supervision.
- Maintain client statistics, database and files.
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- Bachelor’s degree or L.L.M.
- Experience working with immigrant communities.
- Experience working with survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking.
- Detail oriented, organized and able to work well with a team of attorneys and social service professionals.
- Fluent in written and spoken Spanish and English.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.