Managing Attorney, DC Immigration
Legal | Washington, DC | Full Time
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing direct legal and social services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Through its offices in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA, Ayuda has amassed a 43-year history of providing critical services on a wide range of issues, and in the process, has acquired nationally recognized expertise in immigration law, domestic violence, and human trafficking, among other fields.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles to succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy, united, and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Provide training, mentorship, and supervision to legal staff and administrative support staff.
- Prepare and submit grant proposals and reports and ensure the department’s compliance with grant requirements and outcomes.
- Work with Finance Director to ensure proper program and grant financial management, including management of client fee-based legal services.
- Represent Ayuda at meetings and collaborations with other agencies.
- Conduct trainings and community outreach on immigration issues.
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s social services staff to ensure the provision of holistic services.
- Collaborate with and support the organization’s legal team leadership.
- Provide direct legal representation for a small caseload consisting of a variety of immigration matters including representation of: clients in administrative and judicial proceedings; asylum-seekers; victims of trafficking seeking a T-visa; victims of crimes seeking a U-visa; victims of domestic violence seeking relief under VAWA; minors seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status; and those seeking other forms of immigration relief and representation in immigration matters.
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s Development Department for fundraising initiatives, media requests and publicity opportunities.
- Support Ayuda’s fundraising efforts through attendance, and providing client stories and client speakers for events.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Eligibility: Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment. Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
- J.D. or L.L.M. degree from an accredited law school
- 4+ years of immigration legal practice experience
- Supervisory experience
- Current bar membership in good standing to practice law in any state of the United States
- Experience working with low-income immigrant populations and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, or other survivors of trauma
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Fluent in Spanish
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, flexibility and good humor highly desirable
- Highly developed interpersonal and customer relationship management skills
- Professionalism with both internal and external customers
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, discrete, resources, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate with a variety of people, both internal and external
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to initiate and follow through on work independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Strong ethics and sound judgment
- Decisive, with ability to exercise independent judgment
- Proven ability to develop and maintain and positive team environment
- Ability to mentor, train and provide career path guidance to staff
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.
Ayuda is an eligible employer for the purposes of the DC Bar Pro Bono Program's Loan Repayment Assistance Program.