Language Access Coordinator
Language Access | Washington, DC | Full Time and Temporary
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social, and language access services; education; and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in a number of fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC and Fairfax, VA.
We are seeking a coordinator to offer support to our Language Access Program in our downtown DC office. The coordinator will play a vital administrative role in ensuring that limited English proficient and Deaf residents of the Washington metro area have access to interpretation and translation when working with legal service providers to assert their rights and when working with social service providers after being victim to a crime. Our clients include attorneys, paralegals, social workers and other key staff at multiple nonprofits in the DMV area. The Language Access Program provides these necessary services through the Community Legal Interpreter Bank and the Victim Services Interpreter Bank. This position reports to the Language Access Manager.
This position is an entry-level position and will be short-term (6 months) with the possibility of becoming permanent, contingent on funding.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In building communities where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Maintain and manage interpreter database through regular monitoring, data entry, and processing requests.
- Work with third-party interpretation services to fill interpreter requests when in-person interpreter requests cannot be filled by independent contractors accepting assignments from Ayuda.
- Manage translation requests through vendor(s).
- Manage in-person interpretation requests, including scheduling and assigning the interpreter, troubleshooting, and collecting evaluation materials.
- Monitor the submission of invoices from interpreters. When invoices have not been submitted in a timely fashion, send reminders to interpreters.
- Organize and update bookkeeping (binders, files, applications, MOUs, and contracts).
- Conduct research on language access resources.
- Solicit and evaluate feedback regarding program policies and practices from interpreters and service providers.
- Collect necessary paperwork from interpreters and providers (such as memorandum of understanding and independent contractor agreements).
- Assist the Language Access Manager with completing quarterly qualitative and quantitative grant reports.
- Assist with the implementation and coordination of trainings for service providers.
- Assist with the planning and execution of meetings of the Advisory Board for the Language Access Program.
- Generate invoices for paying customers of Ayuda’s interpreter banks.
- Provide general administrative support to Language Access team.
- Other duties as assigned by the Language Access Director and Language Access Manager.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
We’re seeking candidates who are self-motivated, detail-oriented, highly organized, results-oriented, and have strong problem-solving skills. You should have
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to identify, analyze, and report trends or patters in complex data sets
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and Adobe Acrobat
- A demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service while communicating with people from diverse backgrounds in a culturally competent manner
- Interest in, or dedication to, improving access to services for immigrant, limited-English proficient, and/or Deaf communities.
The following skills and qualities are preferred, although not required:
- Experience using:
- Salesforce/CRM database
- Google Docs
- Prior experience in public speaking or developing presentations for training or teaching purposes
- Bilingual, bicultural background
- Experience working with interpreters
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Annualized salary of low to mid $40s (with position expected to last 6 months), plus an excellent benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is non-exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.