Immigration & Pro Bono Legal Assistant
Legal | Washington, DC | Full Time
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing direct legal and social services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Through its offices in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA, Ayuda has amassed a 43-year history of providing critical services on a wide range of issues, and in the process, has acquired nationally recognized expertise in immigration law, domestic violence, and human trafficking, among other fields.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles in order to succeed and thrive in the United States. That families should be healthy, united and safe from harm. That all people should have access to professional, honest and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country. That diversity and equality make this country better. In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Support coordination of legal clinics with community partners. This may include requesting interpreters, preparing and organizing clinic materials, maintaining lists of volunteers and responding to volunteer inquiries, coordinating with staff, recruiting volunteer attorneys, liaising with host sites, and providing informational presentations at clinics for attorney and/or client audiences;
- Staff monthly walk-in clinics by greeting clients, explaining clinic procedures, maintaining clinic flow, training and supervising non-attorney volunteers, and processing completed client interview packets. These clinics may be held in the evening or on weekends;
- Maintain and create client records using Legal Server, Ayuda’s case management software, and ensure integration of paper documents into electronic case files;
- Conduct intakes with clients referred to the pro bono program and assist with follow up for additional screening as necessary;
- Assist in regular reporting of pro bono activities using Legal Server and Excel;
- Ensure efficient placement of pro bono cases and adequate follow up through regular communication with clients and pro bono partners;
- Communicate with clients by phone to confirm appointments with USCIS, courts, and Ayuda attorneys;
- Fill out forms with clients & assemble evidentiary packets to support applications for immigration benefits;
- Prepare declarations with clients about prior crime victimization and about personal hardship;
- Prepare and mail documentary submissions for filing with DHS and EOIR;
- Obtain documents from courts and law enforcement agencies as necessary;
- Draft, edit, update, and distribute outreach materials to reach potential clients from a diversity of backgrounds;
- Assist pro bono staff in responding to pro bono volunteer inquiries as appropriate;
- Update pro bono training and outreach materials as appropriate, providing translations where possible;
- Provide other administrative/paralegal support as assigned.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- Must be detail oriented and able to comply with deadlines
- Must be organized and able to handle multiple matters simultaneously, as well as able to change direction quickly when required
- Must be able to communicate effectively and clearly to diverse audiences & able to exercise judgment in communications with media and client communities
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Must have a customer service orientation
- Second language fluency required (Must be able to speak, understand, read and write. Preference given to Spanish speakers)
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.