Experienced Immigration Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney
Legal | Washington, DC | Full Time
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services; education; and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in a number of fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC, Fairfax, VA, and Silver Spring, MD. This position will be based in Ayuda’s Washington DC (Takoma) office).
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles to succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Provide direct immigration legal representation in a variety of immigration matters including representation of: clients in administrative and judicial proceedings; asylum-seekers; victims of trafficking seeking a T-visa; victims of crimes seeking a U-visa; victims of domestic violence seeking relief under VAWA; minors seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status; individuals seeking family unification through the family-based immigration process, and those seeking other forms of immigration relief and representation in immigration matters.
- Attend and provide mentorship to volunteer attorneys at Ayuda’s pro bono immigration clinics.
- Mentor pro bono attorneys taking cases for long-term representation through Ayuda’s pro bono case pipeline.
- Stay current on relevant laws and policies by attending trainings and conferences and reviewing new laws, regulations and court rules.
- Represent Ayuda at meetings and collaborations with other agencies.
- Conduct trainings and community outreach on immigration issues.
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s social services staff to ensure the provision of holistic services.
- Support Ayuda’s fundraising efforts through attendance, and providing client stories and client speakers for events.
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- J.D. or LL.M. from accredited law school required;
- Member in good standing with the Bar of any state, DC or MD strongly preferred;
- Fluency in Spanish or another language relevant to Ayuda’s client community;
- Three to five years experience in immigration law;
- Strong legal, organizational and time-management skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team;
- Experience working with survivors of family violence, domestic violence, sexual assault or other trauma a plus; and
- Experience supervising paralegals, legal assistants, BIA accredited representatives, and/or junior attorneys a plus;
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples and/or law school transcripts may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.