Central Administration | Washington, DC | Contract
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing legal and social services, education and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Through its offices in Washington, DC, and Fairfax, VA, Ayuda has amassed a 45-year history of providing critical services on a wide range of issues and, in the process, has acquired nationally recognized expertise in immigration law, domestic violence and human trafficking, among other fields.
Ayuda is seeking an individual with communications management experience to work as an Independent Contractor for an interim role, with a possible transition to part-time employment after project completion.
As an Independent Contractor this role will be responsible for specific deliverables, set their own schedule, provide their own equipment and work on a project basis.
WHY DO YOU WANT THIS ROLE?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy, united and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS ROLE ENTAIL?
The position would support the organization in launching a communications program and refining and leading communications and marketing activities that build greater community support for Ayuda’s clients and services. This includes setting the communications agenda, writing speeches and marketing materials, developing a digital content strategy, supporting media relations and outreach. As part of this project, the Consultant will:
- Help refine and execute the strategic communications plan to support the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Strengthen Ayuda’s media outreach by identifying/creating proactive media opportunities, writing press releases, pitching to local DC media outlets, and strengthening relationships with local journalists.
- Develop fact sheets and organizational messaging on key immigration issues in the news.
- Develop Ayuda’s marketing materials including speeches, brochures, online fundraising materials, digital content, and more.
- Develop and implement a robust content strategy for Ayuda’s website, email, and social media channels.
Support and mentor Ayuda communications staff and conduct trainings with staff on communications best practices.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN FULFILL THIS ROLE?
- 4-year college degree, preferably in communications or journalism.
- At least 3-5 years of communications experience.
- Proven ability to successfully launch a communications initiative.
- Consistent record of juggling multiple tasks/campaigns with varying deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with similar Spanish competency a plus.
- Ability to integrate online and new media strategies into overall communications strategy.
- Knowledge of basic design software and elements a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to immigrants’ rights and similar social justice issues.
- Must be based in the Washington, DC area.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.