Bilingual Legal Assistant/Intake Specialist
Legal | Washington, DC | Temp to Perm
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing direct legal and social services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Through its offices in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA, Ayuda has amassed a 43-year history of providing critical services on a wide range of issues, and in the process, has acquired nationally recognized expertise in immigration law, domestic violence, and human trafficking, among other fields.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles in order to succeed and thrive in the United States. That families should be healthy, united and safe from harm. That all people should have access to professional, honest and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country. That diversity and equality make this country better. In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Intake new clients
- Provide administrative support to attorneys for legal case work
- Coordinate outreach materials and strategies with input from organizational partners to ensure potential clients are aware of Ayuda’s services;
- Present at outreach events hosted in collaboration with partnering organizations at locations convenient to our client community on immigration options and Ayuda’s legal services;
- Respond to media inquiries for information about Ayuda’s services and projects by drafting press releases, fact sheets, and other informational material;
- Maintain client statistics using internal database & provide required information to accurately report to funders;
- Using template documents, draft consumer complaints and legal correspondence under attorney supervision;
- Communicate with clients by phone to confirm USCIS appointments;
- Fill out forms with clients & assemble evidentiary packets to support applications for immigration benefits;
- Prepare declarations with clients about prior crime victimization and about personal hardship;
- Prepare and mail documentary submissions for filing with DHS and EOIR;
- Translate client and outreach documents between English and Spanish as needed;
- Obtain documents from courts and law enforcement agencies as necessary;
- Provide other administrative/paralegal support as assigned.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- Must be detail oriented and able to comply with deadlines
- Must be organized and able to handle multiple matters simultaneously, as well as able to change direction quickly when required
- Must be able to communicate effectively and clearly to diverse audiences & able to exercise judgment in communications with media and client communities
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Must have a customer service orientation
- Spanish fluency required (able to speak, understand, read and write Spanish)
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary for this position is based on an annualized salary in the low to mid $40k range, commensurate with experience. In addition, Ayuda has an excellent benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.