Volunteer Program Coordinator
Healthcare/Medical | San Francisco, CA | Full Time, Contract, Temporary, and Temp to Perm
Volunteer Program Coordinator 744317
This position reports to the Manager of Volunteer and Guest Services and is responsible for the coordination of a variety of programs and services enhancing the patient, family, and visitor experience at various Medical Center sites. This will include all non-clinical volunteers and clinical support programs utilizing volunteers. The incumbent serves as a department liaison for all inquiries from volunteers, staff, patients, and community members, and will provide operational and functional support to all department programs including volunteer recruitment, screenings, orientation, trainings, and supervision. Ensures an adequate number of appropriately trained volunteers are assigned to the programs across all Medical Center sites. This position will function independently on special projects. This position will support the many operations of a multifaceted department in a fast paced environment; supports expansion of innovative volunteer and clinical support volunteer programs, provides administrative support to the Manager and Director the Volunteer and Guest Services Department. Must be cross-trained, knowledgeable, and flexible in order to provide departmental functions and coverage across multiple Medical Center sites. Role models excellent interpersonal communication skills and problem-solving with a focus on teamwork and collaboration. Exercises appropriate, independent judgment in complex situations.
- Primary responsibility for the recruitment, orientation, training, scheduling, and placement of volunteers across all Medical Center sites. Assists with general Volunteer Service orientations and informational sessions. Interviews potential candidates for all volunteer programs.
- Independently triages/ processes all requests/concerns received from staff, patients, families, and visitors regarding patient amenities, support services, supplies, resources; actively problem solves and projects future needs.
- Coordinates, schedules, and supervises approximately 50 to 100 centralized Volunteer Service Department volunteers ( i.e. Patient Visitor, Brew Crew, Newspaper service, Patient Mail delivery and office volunteers.)
- In concert with the Manager, rounds on volunteers assignment areas to ensure volunteer, staff, and patient satisfaction. Motivates, leads, counsels, and retains robust team of specialized support volunteers.
- Develops department collateral, audio/visual educational and promotional material.
- Organizes and maintains required compliance documentation systems including but not limited to applications, immunization records, compliance, and training reports for all (approximately 750) volunteers and staff to ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
- Oversees inventory of all patient amenity items, and monitors grants and expenditures and payments.
- Makes recommendations and takes actions to improve Volunteer Service structures, systems, and outcomes.
- Ensures compliance with, and demonstrates HIPAA, AIDET and Medical Center standards
- Collaborates with Medical Center wide staff to ensure all concierge and sensitive requests are appropriately managed.
- Shares responsibilities with Manager and Director for correspondence and related materials including letters of recommendation for students, interns, and long-term volunteers.
- Oversees the completion of departmental statistical reports regarding volunteer programs.
- Performs monthly p-card reconciliation for two staff accounts
- Acts as the department liaison to the I/T Department to ensure the support of all departmental computer programs and that systems are up to date and secure, Will submit tickets to troubleshoot hardware/software problems, and will oversee the installation of all new computer applications.
- Responsible for attending community service and/or school recruitment events
- Serves on selected hospital committees as appointed by the Manager.
- Represents the department in absence of manager
- BA/BS degree required.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Candidate must have supreme customer service and interest in volunteer services.
- 3-5 years of healthcare experience strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Must build productive working relationships; serve as a role model for service excellence behaviors. Able to work with a diverse volunteer population. Presents a positive image of the Medical Centers to the public. Must enjoy being a part of a team environment.
- Outstanding organizational skills. Must be able to expeditiously handle multiple and competing responsibilities and prioritize appropriately.
- Must display initiative and problem solving skills to respond to a variety of situations appropriately; make recommendations and initiate process improvements
- Previous experience working with volunteers
- This position requires flexibility to orient and work in all Medical Center locations as needed
Frequent travel between sites will be required via use of free Company Shuttle, or MUNI at worker’s expense. No travel/parking expenses will be reimbursed.
$30 per hour San Francisco, CA 94158 12 month contract