Sr. Technical Writer
Technical Writing | Santa Clara, CA | Full Time, Contract, and Temporary
Sr. Technical Writer 4677
Within the Technical Publications Group, our goal is to provide an information experience that allows our users to quickly and easily learn and use our products. Easy-to-follow user documentation, including contextual help, videos, and digital media, is a big part in our user’s learning, and we’re constantly transforming the way our customers view content by investing in researching content consumer preferences and latest content delivery and digital media technology trends.
- Confer with subject matter experts including Software Developers, Product Managers, Support, and Sales to establish technical specifications and use cases to determine subject matter to be developed for publication.
- Research, gather and analyze data from multiple sources (subject matter experts, product managers) to develop content.
- Develop information development and publishing strategies aligned with the department standards as well as to meet project-specific requirements by consulting with the Technical Publications leadership team and the cross-functional product team.
- Develop world-class product information with simple and concise English by organizing ideas and translating complex technical terms into information any reader (both native and non-native English readers) can understand.
- Clarifying terminology and work with software developers for achieving consistencies in the product and documentation.
- Work with the Product Design (UX) team to define voice and the tone of the product with an emphasis on grammatical accuracy.
- Participate in all feature sprints, print retro, and planning meetings.
- Participate in product design reviews. Review product design and UI and revise UI messages.
- Complete writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Develop scripts (narrations) for how-to and feature videos by working with the cross-functional team (Dev, PM, Marketing, Sales, Video Producer) and orchestrate a video development project.
- Proactively seek to solicit feedback from internal and external readers. Analyze and
- prioritize technical feedback from various audiences and drive necessary changes into documentation or products.
- Be an active member of the user forum (company Community) to monitor discussions, respond to questions, and bring feedback into the dev.
- 5 - 10 Years of Experience.
- BA/BS degree in English, Journalism, Computer Science, or other relevant fields.
- Superb interpersonal communication skills, particularly where technical information must be conveyed in a clear way.
- Strong technical aptitude to learning products through hands-on experience.
- Must have excellent writing skills, 5 + years of experience in software documentation, online publishing, online help development, API documentation, installation and user guides, release notes.
- Proven technical writing and editing skills. Superior command of the English language including rules and usage
- Experience with API tools, such as Swagger.
- Proficiency in DITA, XML, MS Visio, and Adobe Acrobat is a must.
- Proficiency in SDL Tridion Docs (formally SDL Content Architect) or another Component
- Content Management System (CCMS) is a must.
- Strong understanding of topic-based authoring and reusable information architecture is a must.
- Experience with agile software development process and tools, such as JIRA and
- Confluence is a must.
- Experience with video creation is a plus.
- Experience with MindTouch is a plus.
$40-$45 per hour Santa Clara, CA 12 Month Assignment