Practice Coordinator 559390
Healthcare/Medical | San Francisco, CA | Full Time and Contract
The Practice Coordinator 2 is primarily responsible for representing the administrative team as the public face of the Practice and works closely with the administrative, clinical and management teams to support practice operations and customer service recovery and intervention efforts. S/he provides support to all functions of the administrative teams including but not limited to: CRM messages, telephone encounters, referrals, APeX in-baskets, scanning, filing, authorizations, and billing.
The PC 2 is responsible for the maintenance of all routine clerical operations and communications. S/he adheres to the House and Telephone Standards and is sensitive to the needs of patients, staff and providers at all times. The PA 2 is a team player who works closely with others and who is flexible in dealing with the changing priorities. S/he is a self-reliant individual who synthesizes his/her knowledge of practice operations in order to problem-solve, prioritize and facilitate complex transactions in the course of his/her daily activities.
This position makes a difference for patients in an outpatient care unit by providing excellent customer service, facilitating and ensuring the accuracy of the information flow between medical, hospital staff and departments to maximize unit efficiency. The PC2 is required to work at any campus as needed and scheduled.
- Schedules and registers patients by telephone or in person before first appointment meeting established accuracy and performance standards. Completes appropriate practice intake paperwork and follows established practice guidelines to ensure new patients are seen within prescribed time lines. Communicates any problems with the schedule with supervisor.
- Collects and verifies insurance and referral/authorization information for first appointment ensuring referral records and Hospital Accounts Records (HARS) are created and assigned to the appointment.
- Explains first appointment procedures in layman’s terminology to patient including required records, pathology slides and radiology films to bring or send prior to the first visit; prepares and mails New Patient Packet or sends through MyChart; provides other information requested by patient.
- Coordinates scheduling of all outpatient and inpatient surgeries for the surgical practice. Ensures that all surgical procedures are scheduled within a clinically appropriate time frame. Interfaces with patients, physicians and hospital staff to ensure adequate communication regarding all aspects of surgical services.
- Interacts with clinical and academic staff to coordinate surgical activities with physician’s other responsibilities. Processes complex hospital admission forms, schedules pre-surgical tests and appointments, and secures all necessary resources and equipment for surgery.
- Secures authorization for surgical procedures and coordinates with Hospital Admissions Department as needed.
- Performs cash collection and depositing functions as assigned, complying with all established policies and procedures.
- Communicates Medical Center administrative and financial policies clearly to patients, answering patient account questions and knowing when to refer patients to financial counseling, billing agents, patient relations or other support departments for additional help.
- Demonstrates competency working with CPT codes and ICD-9 and ICD-10 for the purpose of scheduling and securing authorization.
- Monitors provider(s) open charts and encounters and works with providers to complete encounter documentation in a timely manner to support revenue cycle workflow. May assist provider with instructions on how to close encounters opened in error.
- Works RFI work queues to secure information for accurate billing submissions or to respond to denials such as retro authorizations, clinical documentation, and addended authorizations with add on CPT codes.
- Secures authorization for procedures, specialty visits and ancillary testing and coordinates with Hospital Admissions Department as needed.
- Able to create Cadence schedule templates for providers
- Understands how template construction effects access and works to ensure templates are user friendly and help promote consistent clinic access.
- Able to generate reschedule reports in Cadence and work with other members of administrative team to ensure patients are rescheduled in a timely manner to avoid customer service problems.
- Must have an understanding of multiple clinical symptoms and their associated escalation level with a common sense approach for when it is appropriate to escalate or take action to speed along a process within the practice or to obtain immediate clinical intervention.
- Performs the following APEX specific Patient Care Coordinator (PCC) functions as appropriate to completion of APeX PCC training and job duties:
- Updating and closing CRM messages and converting CRM messages into telephone encounters if practice is serviced by the Ambulatory Services Call Center
- Open, document within, route and close telephone encounters. Able to accurately utilize documentation steps when leaving a telephone encounter open pending further communications with the caller
- Works applicable APeX workqueues to address patient care and service matters
- Create and send administrative communications via MyChart
- Open, document within, route and close telephone encounters. Able to accurately utilize documentation steps with leaving a telephone encounter open pending further communications with the caller. Able to utilize smart text logic to document patient phone screening as associated with complex appointment scheduling.
- Works applicable APeX workqueues to address patient care and service matters
- Encourage use of the check in kiosk and trouble shoot technical or customer service issues
- Pend Smart Sets with proper orders and diagnosis and route to provider for review and signature
- Modify order class of labs from lab collection vs. clinic collection or Collect vs. External Collect.
- Perform advanced appointment scheduling using complex scheduling protocols from a variety of ancillary and subspecialty services some of which will require authorization.
- Support Patient-Centered Medical Home, Standard 1 guidelines that require patients have daily available appointment access to the practice and if no appointments are available coordinate them at another site or within Adult or Pediatric Urgent Care.
- Upholds Medical Center policy regarding the maintenance and confidentiality of medical records and other patient information. Maintains and adheres to patient confidentiality and HIPAA guidelines including the distribution of NOPPs (Notice of Privacy Practices).
- Complies with all Medical Center and Ambulatory Services procedures for infection control, safety, administrative and clinical practice. Complies with activities mandated by The Joint Commission and Title 22 standards.
- Complies with infection control policies related (e.g. does not eat at the front desk or in patient care areas)
- High School graduate or equivalent with four years related experience; or college degree and 6 months related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Successfully passes fingerprinting protocol and is approved to be a cash collector
- Strong computer skills, including basic keyboarding skills, and experience with at least two Office-type software programs (i.e., Outlook, Word and Excel). Proven ability to navigate through multiple patient records systems. Able to sit at a computer terminal with telephone headphones for extended period of time.
- Able to sit at a computer terminal with telephone headphones for extended periods of time.
- Basic math skills required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical practice terminology.
- Demonstrated experience in health care (may include medical, dental or veterinary) in the following areas: patient scheduling, insurance verification, medial record data abstraction, or patient financial services.
- Prior experience with appointment, ancillary service or surgical scheduling or a combination of all three.
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual capability (Spanish, Cantonese, and Russian) strongly preferred.
- Prior experience with EPIC.
$25- $29 per hour 6 Month Contract San Francisco, CA 94158