Director, Internal Communications
Communications | Newark, NJ | Full Time, Contract, and Temporary
Director, Internal Communications 782677
We are seeking a proactive, articulate and enthusiastic individual for the role of Director, Internal Communications - Technology. This position will report to the VP, Internal Communications and will play a vital role in informing, engaging and inspiring Tech employees. Join the company that invented digital audiobooks, is the largest seller and producer in the fastest-growing format in publishing, and is a leading destination for digital entertainment. This role will have responsibility for supporting internal and leadership communications initiatives for the Tech team with a key focus on helping to ensure that Tech leadership at all levels has the tools, information, and training they need to cascade information to their teams on a regular basis. This is a collaborative role to coordinate Tech communications efforts, collect and share best practices and success stories and provide strategic communications counsel and implementation support to Tech leaders. The role requires good communication and presentation skills (both written and oral); experience and understanding of the Tech industry and the evolving organizational and communications landscape as well as cross-cultural sensitivities. The ideal candidate has experience working within technology teams, is able to work successfully in a team environment and help to build effective working relationships across the organization, and can react with appropriate urgency to situations that require a quick turnaround. The successful individual will have a passion for helping to foster employee engagement as well as an enthusiasm for disruptive, high-energy technology-driven culture and our People Principles as well as our commitment to Newark’s revitalization. A high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information is critical in this role.
- Partner with the HR team and Tech leadership to develop and implement a communications strategy, approach, processes, and protocols that drive communication and engagement within Tech and help to further connect employees with our Tech and overall Company priorities and activities.
- Support the development and implementation of a comprehensive Tech communications plan for the remainder of 2019 and 2020, in alignment with our overall global HR and internal communications strategy and plans.
- Serve as a communications business partner to the Tech Leadership team, Tech Chief of Staff and HR leaders, including participating in strategy sessions, providing support for presentations, message development and other internal outreach and sharing best practices.
- Establish a clear cadence and calendar for all Tech communications programming, in coordination with the HR Business Partner and Internal Communications team, and contribute to the overall global internal communications cadence and message development.
- Ensure the voice of our People Principles and our desired culture are reflected in all communications in a balanced and relevant manner.
- Adapt messaging and communications vehicles and formats as needed, including identification of new communications channels, to ensure messages are timely and relevant
- Help to identify ways to measure the effectiveness of Tech communications efforts, using existing and new measurement tools.
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Written communication—strong writing and proofreading skills, ability to vary writing style to meet needs, presents data effectively.
- Oral communication—speaks clearly and persuasively; possesses the ability to engage others; listens and gets clarification; Response well to questions; actively participates in meetings
- Technical skills—strong Word, Excel, and PowerPoint ability as well as experience with intranet platforms such as SharePoint a plus, ability to use visual concepts, graphic design or HTML a plus.
- Strong organizational and project management skills and the ability to influence stakeholders along with a good understanding of the role the Tech organization plays in our success.
- Good understanding of internal communications and overall communications landscape and the role it plays in helping to drive employee engagement
- Capacity to work across teams, enjoys working with people and understands discretion and diplomacy and can handle confidential information
- Must be able to thrive in fast-paced environments, be able to manage through ambiguity and complexity and change course if necessary.
- Passion for our People Principles and core mission to improve lives through storytelling, the company’s commitment to urban revitalization and its disruptive, technology-driven culture
Knowledge and Skills/Education and Experience:
- College degree in social sciences or humanities required
- 8-10 years of work experience in a global/matrixed business environment, with some in the Tech industry and/or working with a Tech team
- Experience working in a cross-functional environment that appreciates different perspectives and collaboration
- Adept at using and experimenting with communication technologies
- Experience in training Tech leaders to be more effective communicators
Newark, NJ 07102 9 Month Assignment