Director, Financial Planning, Decision Support & Budgeting *
Finance | Oakland, CA | Full Time, Contract, and Temp to Perm
Director, Financial Planning, Decision Support & Budgeting 731993
Reporting to the Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, this position is responsible for directing the strategic development, implementation and maintenance of all financial planning functions for the organization and its affiliates including: operational budgeting, productivity, long range financial planning, capital planning, cost accounting, decision support and Service Line analysis, business planning, and financial analysis.
The Director of Financial Planning, Decision Support and Budgeting is focused on supporting the Executive Leadership Team in achieving department and organizational goals, and in the development of the long-term direction of the organization.
The position is responsible for strategy development and for the development and enhancement of accurate financial planning to improve organization performance and advise management on the interpretation of complex financial information to assist in the decision making process with a focus on bottom line performance improvement.
The Director represents the Chief Financial Officer on key programmatic and service line initiatives, and supports the Chief Financial Officer by maintaining effective relationships with Senior Management, medical staff leadership , and community physician leaders.
Essential Job Functions:
- Demonstrated ability in operating budget development, cost accounting and decision support systems and software
- Knowledge of and experience in implementing systems, ongoing maintenance and upgrades
- In-depth understanding of the health care financial environment
- Advanced understanding of hospital operations demonstrated by the ability to recognize the impact of financial data on the business as a whole and on individual departments, as well as the ability to conceptualize solutions and explain them to non-financial audiences
- Able to distill relevant findings from large reports or disparate sources into meaningful information for management
- Ability to see the big picture with a strong strategic focus combined with the operational , analytical, project management and data management skills to conduct detailed analyses
- Thorough understanding of revenue cycles, reimbursement and payer contracting and hospital operations
- Responsible for the Operating and Capital Budget to achieve superior financial performance
- Manage budget and financial planning software selected by Finance/IT/Management and implement upgrades
- Properly plan and execute timely operational and capital budgets
- Complete budget presentation packages for various audiences: Senior Leadership , managers and Board of Directors
- Provides training and education to Directors and Managers on budget issues and budget building
- Directs the development and ongoing maintenance of an integrated long-range strategic, financial and capital plan
- Works with Senior Leadership in developing long term operational and key financial indicators and targets
- Identify and evaluate potential acquisitions and investments, and potential divestments; acts as project manager for individual transactions
- Conduct due diligence for acquisition and partnership projects
- Evaluate opportunities through analysis of market potential, customer needs, and competitive landscape; prepare and present business plans as required
- In collaboration senior management and business units, develop strategy to support business objectives
- Directs the development, validation and ongoing maintenance of the cost accounting system
- Manages the implementation and integration of diverse reporting/data systems
- Builds internal reporting systems to facilitate reporting
- Oversees the preparation of proformas and other financial and Service Line analyses pertaining to capital equipment expenditures, new programs, joint ventures, and other initiatives to assist executive management in maintaining and improving the financial well-being of the organization
- Conducts financial analyses to monitor performance against budget, labor productivity, benchmarking analyses, and Service Line profitability
- Works with clinical leaders to develop and maintain scorecards for respective areas
- Support business units in developing and executing value-maximizing strategies, continuously evaluating existing services lines and identifying new opportunities; provide business planning support as needed
- Oversee market, industry and competitive analysis to identify growth areas and new products opportunities
- Develop data management and reporting tools to assist departments, service lines, and practices in improved management of resource planning and utilization
- Experience in project management, internal consulting, development and facilitation of planning retreats and proven ability in management/leadership skills. Experience in a matrix management or consulting type environment desirable
- Serves as representative to assigned governance councils or planning committees, including assisting in agenda development, preparation, and presentation
- Minimum of five year's experience in budgeting and decision support, strategy development and business analysis.
- Demonstrated expertise in physician group and/or hospital product line development is highly desirable.
- Significant experience in designing and leading initiatives with proven performance in meeting productivity , financial, and client satiaction goals on deadline .
- Responsible for managing a staff of highly educated and experienced professionals including managers, financial analysts, and programming analysts
- Foster staff development by providing exposure to healthcare operations and attendance at workshops/conferences
- Thorough knowledge of strategic planning, budget and business planning, revenue cycle & reimbursement , and health care administration within an integrated system based delivery organization is required
- Acts as consultant to users of decision support data on the effective use of the information and on its system limitations
- Develop and maintain processes to monitor budget vs actual and to evaluate variances and business drivers
- A Masters Degree in hospital/healthcare or business administration from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- 5 - 7 years experience; Healthcare background required
- Financial Planning/long range planning/budgeting
- Experience overseeing team of analysts (3)
- Variance analysis
- Workforce labor productivity reporting
- Experience with Tableau and EPSi
$100 per hour (flexible) Oakland, CA 94609 2 month contract (possible extension/perm)