Building Engineer - Commercial Office Property
Commercial | Rockville, MD | Full Time
Come be part of a winning team in the commercial office property management industry! McShea has been in business for more than 25 years, and continues to look to grow its business and employee population.
We are currently recruiting for two Building Engineer positions. One is located in Rockville, Maryland, and the other is located in Columbia, Maryland. This is a full-time position, and will share on-call requirements with others on some evenings/weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The building engineer is responsible for the operation and maintenance of electrical and mechanical equipment used to provide heat, air conditioning, and hot water for the building. In addition to the operating building equipment, the engineer will provide maintenance and repair services. Duties to be performed require working in a variety of areas inside and outside of the building year-round, and working in various environmental conditions and physical positions. The job entails carrying items to the work site and the engineer must be able to lift and carry at least thirty pounds.
- Operates and maintains HVAC equipment, including roof top units, boilers, chillers, circulating pumps, fan coil units, and other equipment for the building. Checks all mechanical and electrical equipment, valves, and other components to assure continuous heat or air conditioning, power services, and hot water. Insures the plant efficiency and safety. Monitors energy management and consumption and logs changes for optimum efficiency
- Maintain certificates of inspection of boilers, compressors, and elevators. Maintain testing schedules as required for emergency lighting and power systems, electrical switch gear inspections, plumbing/back-flow prevention, and fire protection, including monthly alarm testing. Implement corrective maintenance as required to keep systems within compliance.
- Recommend frequency, and performs preventive maintenance to building equipment, including but not limited to filter changes, lubrication, belt adjustment, shaft and pulley alignment. Maintains building lighting in operating order, including bulb and ballast replacements not completed by the contracted porter. Periodically inspects the building and equipment, determining and performing maintenance and repairs required.
- Maintains cleanliness of mechanical and electrical rooms, and cooling tower areas, including painting, and sealing surfaces.
- Performs duties to correct emergency conditions such as flooding, sewer backup, and equipment malfunctions. Duties include corrective action to resolve the problem and required cleanup during and after corrective action has been taken.
- Performs repairs to building equipment. Assists the property manager in obtaining proposals and coordinating work performed by outside contractors.
- Establish working relations with tenants and responds to tenant maintenance request, using the work tickets to track calls.
- Supervise daily contracted services, including cleaning and porter operations. Maintain a daily log, including assignments to be completed by the porter. Police property daily.
- Maintain building files and records relevant to building operations and tenants. Maintains equipment inventory, maintenance and service records, operations manuals, and building specification manuals and blueprints.
- Other duties as assigned.
The knowledge and skills needed are:
- General handyman experience
- Experience with rooftop VAV systems
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work with all levels of employees, tenants, and vendors.
The qualifications for the job are:
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record
- 3-5+ years of building engineer experience preferred
- CFC Certification
McShea has a comprehensive compensation program including competitive wages and benefits program. Eligibility for our benefits is on the 1st of the month after date of hire!
Interested individuals should forward their resume and cover letter via this system.
McShea is an Equal Opportunity Employer. McShea is also committed to a drug-free workplace, and we test for the use of drugs and alcohol. No phone calls from recruiters, please.