Building Engineer - Commercial Office - Class A Condos
Engineering | Washington, DC | Full Time
Come be part of a winning team in the commercial office real estate industry! Avison Young is a leading international real estate solutions firm. Headquartered in Canada, our US operation located in the Washington DC metropolitan area continues to look to grow its business and employee population.
We are currently recruiting for a Building Engineer to handle a 12-story, 72,000 sf class A condominium office space. The main function of this position is to service the minor repairs associated with the building's HVAC systems. Equipment includes two Trane self-contained rooftop package units with VAV boxes to deliver conditioned air within the suites. The HVAC is controlled with a Siemen’s EMS.
The Building Engineer must know the concept of the system, needs to perofrm minor repairs on the HVAC equipment, perform building inspections, and perform other routine repairs such as electrical and plumbing repairs.
This is a full-time position. Hours of work are scheduled Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. There may be on-call requirements on some evenings/weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The building engineer is responsible for the operation and maintenance of electrical and mechanical equipment used to provide heat, air conditioning, and hot water for the building. In addition to the operating building equipment, the engineer will provide maintenance and repair services. Duties to be performed require working in a variety of areas inside and outside of the building year-round, and working in various environmental conditions and physical positions. The job entails carrying items to the work site and the engineer must be able to lift and carry at least 50 pounds.
1. Inspect building early each day and document findings in a daily report.
2. Troubleshoot and repair machinery and equipment;
3. Daily walk-through inspection of public areas and grounds.
4. Be familiar with building fire alarm system, and evacuation procedures, and respond to all alarms and emergency situation.
5. Keep and maintain daily logs.
6. Ensure on-call person is aware and available to take calls.
7. Keep and maintain key control system.
8. Report to Avison Young dispatcher at 7:00 a.m., prior to leaving property on errands, and at end of day.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Needed:
- Experience with rooftop VAV systems
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work with all levels of employees, tenants, and vendors.
- Ability to remain calm in any emergency and execute necessary remedy systematically, efficiently, and as quickly as possible
- Must be able to communicate ideas and thoughts in a clear and courteous manner both written as well as verbal
- Must possess capacity to accept change with a pliant attitude
Qualifications for the Job:
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record
- 5+ years of office building and equipment maintenance repairs experience required
- Continuing education in basic electricity, heating, air conditioning, and water treatment.
Avison Young has a comprehensive compensation program including competitive wages and benefits program. Eligibility for our benefits is on the date of hire.
Interested individuals should forward their resume and cover letter via this link, or fax to: 866-927-9095
Avison Young is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Avison Young is also committed to a drug-free workplace, and we test candidates and employees for the use of drugs and alcohol. No phone calls from recruiters, please.