Sr. Database Administrator
Engineering | Beaverton, OR | Full Time
Sr. Database Administrator
The Sr. Database Administrator will work as a part of the Engineering team to support both internal as well as external customers. The Sr. Database Administrator will be responsible for the design, build and optimization of Database systems supporting a wide variety of applications from internal infrastructure monitoring application DBs, billing systems DBs, to client DB installations. Additionally, the Sr. Database Administrator will work directly with end clients operating in a staff augmentation capacity supporting Atmoseras’ DBAaaS offering.
Successful candidates will have experience in several different operational models, processes, procedures, and organizational structure and be able to accurately estimate level of effort in DB design and implementation. Competency in a high level programming language, ideally C#, is required as development of tools and/or other support infrastructure will be necessary. DBA skills centered around MS-SQL stack are critical, but the ability to work with open source SQL and/or NOSQL software stacks is necessary.
Job Duties and Essential Job Functions
Development and Support of Internal/External DBs:
- Define and maintain all design documentation on all Internal and External (customer) DBs including schema desgn, HA, backup, and replication.
- Define and maintain Operational specifications for all Internal and External (customer) DBs. This includes desired maintenance schedules, patching criteria/frequency, order of operations for maintenance, as well as troubleshooting tips.
- Ad-hoc break/fix support for all Internal and External DBs which may include on-call and after-hours support.
- Define and maintain version and upgrade planning for all DBs.
- Development of automated health and performance tuning queries/metrics to improve running performance on all DBs. This includes incorporating of these queries/metrics into periodic reports with subjective interpretation of the general health of the DBs, and if not found healthy, a plan with discrete steps on how to improve health.
- Definition and execution of basic DB day-to-day maintenance for all managed DBs.
Development and Support of Internal tools:
- Define and maintain a clear scope on project assignments, including coordinating resolution of technical practices and issues with all levels of management, including executive management.
- Define, develop and maintain internal usage reporting systems for billing-related metrics that must be reported periodically (daily/weekly/monthly) in an automated fashion to the billing system.
- Prepare and present periodic progress or status reports on project and/or work assignments, including keeping project stakeholders informed of significant issues that may impact assignment completion as early as possible.
- Ensure compliance with business objectives by providing timely and accurate resolution of work assignments; provide regular feedback regarding opportunities and problems.
- Participate in project budget and work assignment preparation by assessing complex requirements, completing cost estimates and outlining proposed expenditures for management approval.
- Plan, prepare, participate, and facilitate work sessions such as meetings, brainstorming, requirements gathering, application design & modeling sessions. Ensure that applicable documentation is complete, accepted, and that all participants are actively involved.
- Ensure that all assignment deliverables are complete, including detailed “As-built” documentation. Ensure high quality and understandable deliverables are produced for the appropriate level.
- Gain, maintain and apply effective technical, functional and interpersonal management techniques.
- Keep abreast of industry hardware/software technology and software development and support techniques in order to improve internal processes and application efficiency. Participate in the research of the feasibility of new technologies and leveraging uses for current technologies.
- Determine support requirements for tools and system software during off-shift hours, and develop on-call procedures that ensure timely response by NOC or Sr. Systems Design Engineer as appropriate.
- Ensure the integrity of corporate data by developing and implementing backup/recovery mechanisms and internal controls. Ensure vaulting processes are implemented to protect corporate data against disasters. Ensure procedures are represented in the overall Systems recovery plan.
- Direct or perform the life-cycle activities of projects to ensure the accurate, timely and cost-effective implementation of specific systems. Ensure appropriate mechanisms exist for resolving issues, setting technical and design directions.
- Maintain involvement and control over any services contracted with an outside organization related to internal / external account management tools and billing related programming.
Dedicated Managed Customer Solutions:
- Work with Sales on customer opportunities to gather customer requirements, develop designs and present potential DBAaaS solutions.
- Provide expert technical consulting to Sales team and customers; serve as a technical contact to outside vendors as required. Provide training to Company personnel as required.
- Participate in a walk through of deliverable components. Provide appropriate feedback to ensure the technical quality of the application or system. Provide technical solutions to design, program and process issues.
- Oversee the analysis of dedicated managed customer system-related performance problems. Recommend and implement changes to improve performance to acceptable levels.
- Research, evaluate and recommend the use of new products and services to support customer applications and system software. Coordinate and participate in the implementation of new support and system software, and ensure compliance with company and department standards and processes where they exist or are defined.
- Expertise in Microsoft data products:
- Experience in Azure PaaS SQL services including Azure Data Warehouse as well as Azure Data Lake.
- Experience with BI tools such as Dynamics or Tableu.
- Experience with data visualization technologies such as PowerBI and SSIS.
- Experience in designing, building and maintaining large scale MS-SQL geographically diverse HA clusters.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; including documentation.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; including tracking of billable hours.
- Ability to perform well in a dynamic environment while maintaining schedules.
- Ability to generate presentation materials suited to many different audiences, i.e. end users, TACC, NOC, Executives, etc.
- Require limited supervision and direction while driving results and managing priorities independely.
- Experience with non MS-SQL SQL products.
- Prior tools development in C# and the ability to program in other languages like: Python, Django, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.