Royalty | New York, NY | Full Time
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With over 650,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
We're looking for a Senior Accountant to join the Accounting & Finance team. As the Senior Accountant, you'll be a critical team member of our Royalty Operations group, making sure that our hard-working songwriter and publisher members are correctly paid for public performances of their licensed works. Our Accounting & Finance team is highly collaborative, which means you'll also have the opportunity to assist with projects on other teams, including internal audit, revenue accounting, and general ledger.
Outside of the day-to-day work in Accounting & Finance, you'll also work with other ASCAP departments including Membership, Global Services, Distribution, Human Resources and others to resolve royalty-related member inquiries and work on cross-department, collaborative projects as they come up.
- Responsible for Royalty disbursements and reconciliations.
- Reconcile all Royalty related balance sheet accounts with the sub ledgers.
- Review of Capitalized advances for impairment.
- Ongoing review and maintenance of all tax-related data to ensure compliance with IRS regulations
- Review of the annual Royalty 1099 and 1042 process for accuracy and completeness
- Review of the annual foreign tax credit process
- Maintain and update the International Distribution Statements
- Assist with the administration of member-related bank and loan programs, direct deposit, positive pay and wires
- Liaison with Member Services/Membership and Distribution to ensure that all payment, tax and other Royalty-related issues are resolved in a timely manner
- Assist with the processing of all types of daily Royalty transactions in accordance with established policies and procedures as needed
- Liaison with Information Systems to bridge business issues and technology solutions.
- All other duties as assigned
- 3 - 5 years of related experience in accounting
- Working knowledge of accounting, tax reporting and compliance, escheatment and cash disbursement/banking requirements
- Functional knowledge of software applications and coordination with Information technology for solving business issues is required.
- Must possess strong communication, analytical, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics GP, 1099Pro and on-line banking software a plus
- CPA preferred, or CPA in progress a plus
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Long term disability insurance
- Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Employer paid retirement savings program