Product | New York, NY | Full Time
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With 650,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
The Product / Digital Designer will contribute to the visual direction of digital products. The Product Designer will ensure that the quality and integrity of the designs meet or exceed the product vision, and pushes the boundaries of competitive visual quality. We are looking for a generalist who loves to create and has an innate curiosity that is rarely quench. We believe in generalists that have a hand in each stage of product design, so Designers at ASCAP take projects from napkin sketches to final visual specifications and sometimes beyond. We pride ourselves on rethinking established paradigms.
You’ll work on projects from start to finish, and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of designers, product managers and engineers to deliver the best possible experience for our users. You will be sharing your work with teams across the organization and should feel comfortable communicating your designs. Curiosity will be your shield and your designs skills will be your sword as you navigate the music industry and the nuances of publishing rights organizations.
The ideal candidate is a generalist (with some core focus) - someone who has a wide but deep knowledge of a lot of tech gear and software that is commonly used on this kind of work. If you don’t know about something, you know how to research and get the right answers quickly. On certain days, your role will entail working on the UI of the experience. On other days, you could be designing how to showcase this idea to internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with the Digital Design Lead creating world-class digital experiences for key product initiatives
- Collaborate on designs using cross-platform layouts, site grids and interface demos to create innovative solutions that meet business and user needs
- Transform abstract concepts and problems into simple, elegant, and executable user experiences
- Create the deliverables relevant for respective projects including: mood boards, storyboards, interactive page layouts, site grids and interface mockups.
- Collaborate on designs that apply brand identity systems, typography, photography, color and other ingredients appropriately to create innovative visual solutions that meet business and user needs
- Present ideas with rationale and be able to communicate to different types of stakeholders as the design evangelist
- Ensure consistency in design
- Know how to balance innovation and usability and allow for flexibility in their implementations
- Design concepts for PowerPoint and/or Keynote presentations/materials for meetings
- 3+ years experience in designing digital experiences
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in design related field
- Ability to manage and deliver against several initiatives simultaneously.
- Strong design portfolio
- Strong knowledge in areas of typography and design
- A deep understanding of web technologies and a strong grasp of tools is expected
- Experience designing mobile web and native applications
- Passionate about design and enjoy the thrill of creating great user experiences
- Well developed communication skills
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment
- Experience using Sketch, InVision, and Adobe Creative Suite.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Long term disability insurance
- Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Employer paid retirement savings program