Global Member Services Representative
Global Services | New York, NY | Full Time
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With over 670,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
The Global Member Services Representative provides customer service to ASCAP’s members via telephone, email and ASCAP’s proprietary online account management system (Member Access). The position serves the goals of the ASCAP Global Members Services department in ensuring ASCAP writers, publishers, and internal departments receive the best experience possible.
Areas of responsibility & accountability
- Provide customer service to ASCAP’s publisher members via telephone, email and ASCAP's proprietary online account management system.
- Effectively communicate within and outside of the organization in order to resolve publisher member issues and answer all questions.
- Handle internal communication to resolve issues to completion seamlessly without handoffs known to member.
- Resolve and track inquiries and other types in incoming requests to research and resolve issues arising from publisher members and/or their representatives regarding:
- (1) performance crediting
- (2) repertory
- (3) royalty distribution, overpayment recoupment
- (4) international collection and distribution
- (5) general membership concerns
- Escalate and resolve high priority member issues effectively utilizing expert knowledge of ASCAP’s business along with strong communication with other departments within ASCAP.
- Use sound judgment to determine if high profile claims need to be escalated.
- Provide support to distribution department through participating in quarterly statement review, review of member claims for accuracy and liaison with members on behalf of distribution where additional information is required in order to process member claims.
Creative Services Support
- Assist creative services during ASCAP events, such as ASCAP’s annual “I Create Music” Expo and member recognition events.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Music Industry Studies or Business
- Excellent administrative, written, and verbal communication skills
- The ability to clearly and simply communicate complex issues
- Skilled at prioritizing multiple tasks or projects simultaneously
- Self-motivated and organized to ensure internal and external responsiveness
- Effective and creative problem solver
- Prior customer service experience is a plus
- Knowledge of ASCAP’s systems, policies and procedures is a plus
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Long term disability insurance
- Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Employer paid retirement savings program