Director, Platform Engineering
Technology | New York, NY | Full Time
ASCAP is home to more than 625,000 music creator members across all genres - the greatest names in music, and thousands more in the early stages of their careers. We are the world leader in performance royalties, advocacy and service for music creators, and are the only PRO in the US run by its members including songwriters, composers and music publishers.
ASCAP technologists live our mission and we are passionate about what we do for our customers and we practice what we preach. Our technologists serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our business partners and members achieve their goals and realize their dreams. We have an infectious and lively culture and we recognize our successes monthly at our Thursday on-site social hour celebrations. We stand behind our mission and are committed to delivering the impossible.
Bottom line? We outthink ordinary. Discover what you can do with technology at ASCAP!
The Director of Platform Engineering will lead ASCAP’s Infrastructure Services engineering and delivery function. You will develop and nurture strategic relationships with business partners, IT leaders and external partners to implement solutions that align with strategic goals and objectives. Your task is to define and implement IT policies and processes, develop staff, create and promote an environment that fosters communication, collaboration, and innovation and effectively communicate the value and opportunity of emerging technologies. You will also be responsible for managing ASCAP’s Cloud initiatives, including VMWare and Hybrid cloud integrations with public providers like AWS and Azure.. Working with the Enterprise Architecture team, you will participate in technology selection,assessment and deployment in multiple datacenters, as well as experiment with new technologies.
- Manages and develops a team of Cloud, server, storage and network engineers that are responsible for the design, planning and implementation of cloud infrastructure, network infrastructure, Windows & Linux servers, storage, and server and desktop virtualization. Ensures staff is knowledgeable and cross-trained.
- Develop automation practices and skills in the team.
- Promote IaC and integrated CI/CD for cloud infrastructure deployment
- Improve adoption of cloud based tools and technologies
- Develop a plan to migrate ASCAP’s environment to AWS cloud and eliminate datacenter need.
- Develops strategic relationships with key vendors and internal business units.
- Provide the high levels of system monitoring with an understanding of reliability, availability, and failure management/mitigation needs
- Implement ITSM framework for measuring quality and effectiveness of the service delivery teams
- Provide disaster recovery solutions to maintain stable, secure, and compliant environments
- Develops and updates processing strategies to support the business plans and goals.
- Manages the operational and fiscal activities of the department including: staffing levels, budgets, operational controls and processes, and financial goals
- Communicates plans and ensures that systems are consistent with corporate technology direction
- Has built and run an Infrastructure engineering and operations function
- Experience managing teams to deploy and maintain tools such as HEAT, JIRA / Confluence, Bitbucket, Jenkins, etc
- Knowledgeable of the wide range of AWS platforms including Direct Connect, VPC, IAM, CloudFormation, etc
- Implementation and automation of IaaS and PaaS services in AWS including EC2, Lambda, RDS, RedShift EBS and S3
- Lead the design and implementation of hybrid cloud solutions including AWS, Azure, and vSphere
- Experienced in Agile and Devops methodologies to improve operational process and increase velocity of the team.
- Experience managing teams to deploy infrastructure as code to public (AWS, Azure, etc.) and private clouds
- Experienced in managing datacenter technologies related to server, network and storage.
- ITIL V3 experience is required and Foundation or higher certification is preferred.
- Experienced in working with application teams to identify infrastructure requirements early on and ensuring alignment throughout the project lifecycle.
- Experience leading and working with cross functional team members
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to conduct research into issues and products as required
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language and visuals
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Long term disability insurance
- Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Employer paid retirement savings program