Accounting and Finance | New York, NY | Full Time
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With over 650,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members.
ASCAP is looking for an Assistant Controller to join the Accounting & Finance team.
As Assistant Controller, you will be responsible for directing the day to day operations of ASCAP’s general ledger, accounts payable, payroll, tax compliance, regulatory filings, and tax return filing (Federal, State City and Franchise taxes). You will plan and coordinate the audit and annual reports and pension filings and reporting. As Assistant Controller, you will also be responsible for enforcing financial policies, procedures, internal controls, and involvement in business process reengineering initiatives.
Areas of responsibility
- General Ledger
- Accounts Payable
- Payroll Accounting
- Coordination with royalty accounting, revenue accounting, and internal audit teams (as needed)
- Financial reporting, financial audits and financial statements.
- A small team of Senior Accountants
- Disbursements Manager & Coordinator with oversight of Accounts Payable and Payroll
- General Ledger
- Approval of Journal entries as required.
- Overseeing reconciliation of all Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss Accounts.
- Managing the financial close in the Great Plains system.
- Month and YTD variance analysis.
- Responsible for all Tax filings - Federal, State, City and Franchise.
- Preparation of the information required to support and file the tax returns.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable tax and accounting laws and regulations.
- Daily Cash management and managing relationship with Banks.
- Overseeing month end Bank reconciliations
- Foreign currency transfers and settlement of hedges.
- Budgeting and Planning
- Responsible for the overall Budgeting process in terms of collecting data, processing and consolidation of information into Great Plains.
- Budget Reporting and Analysis of information.
- Accounts Payable & Payroll
- Approving and releasing of Wires and ACH’s, Payroll approval, managing the CONCUR and AMEX processes and finalizing the Payroll Journal interface with Great Plains.
- Coordinating the Client Assist schedule with Auditors.
- Planning and coordinating the dissemination of information to the auditors.
- Preparation of the financial statements to be attached to the audit report.
- Finalizing the financial statements for the Pension Plans.
- Sign off on GAAP checklists for the Audit.
- Preparation, analysis, interpreting, and reporting financial data at the end of each month.
- Preparation of ad hoc financial reports and analysis as needed to assist in business decisions.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field is required. MBA a plus. CPA preferred
- A minimum of 8 years of experience is required in a mid to senior finance and accounting role.
- Public company experience preferred, but not required.
- Proficient knowledge of GAAP and related financial reporting regulations and standards.
- Proven track record and possesses strong leadership skills to effectively manage a diverse team to achieve results and execute transformative organizational change.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and delegate as needed.
- Qualitative abilities including strong analytical skills and forecasting skills, technical proficiency, effective problem-solving skills and strong ability to interpret statistical and accounting information/reports.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to work under pressure and cultivate and develop key relationships.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required along with the ability to influence others and interface with external contacts, internal management, ASCAP Board and accounting and finance team.
- Ability to present financial information effectively.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems.
- Knowledge of the music industry beneficial.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Long term disability insurance
- Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Employer paid retirement savings program