Research and Strategy | Seattle, WA or Remote | Full Time
Artefact is a visionary design firm. We partner with leaders to help create better futures for people, business and society. By approaching the toughest challenges with equal parts creativity and pragmatism we deliver impact that drives lasting change.
Better futures, by design.
HOW THIS ROLE CONTRIBUTES
At Artefact, rigorous research and strategic thinking are a core part of our design process. They are how we understand stakeholders, generate empathy and contextual awareness, identify unmet needs and new opportunities, deepen our knowledge of complex systems and problem spaces, and establish points of view that inform and impact our clients’ businesses.
As Strategy Director you will help shape our Insights and Strategy practice, through a mix of practice leadership, program direction, client relationship management, hands-on work, mentorship, and business development. This is an exceptional opportunity to become a trusted advisor to our clients and influence the field of design research and strategy within a world-class design firm. As a Director at Artefact, you will also collaborate with other leaders across the company to define and execute strategic initiatives that further our mission and vision.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Develop detailed plans and recommended methodologies for strategy and research engagements, considering client needs, industry best practices, budget and other requirements
- Drive innovation in methods that improve the relevance, scale and efficacy of our work (e.g. via emerging research techniques such as novel approaches to fieldwork, ethnography, sensemaking, systems thinking, foresight, business design, etc.)
- Lead consulting engagements and multidisciplinary program teams (comprising research, strategy, and design)
- Design and facilitate client meetings and workshops with executives and other business leaders
- Manage and develop client relationships
- Direct design research and strategy activities, and participate in hands-on work as required
- Synthesize research observations and insights into meaningful opportunities that lead to design solutions; prepare findings and deliver recommendations to clients
Within projects and separately, as a coach, you will help others grow by creating opportunities for people to learn new skills. This can be achieved by teaching others, connecting them to resources and ideas, and by creating an environment where new perspectives and a growth mindset can thrive.
HELP GROW THE ORGANIZATION AND COMMUNITY
As a leader in the midst of the organization you help make things happen at all levels; translating company vision, strategy and values into action for others and helping inform the execution of the strategy by sharing new perspectives and ideas. Furthermore, you will act as an evangelist for the Insights and Strategy practice, both internally and externally through thought leadership.
- You have a point of view, strive to deliver world class thinking and execution, and inspire others to do the same.
- You are flexible and excited to contribute at any and all levels
- You are a strong communicator, confident presenter and compelling storyteller
- You are a champion for diversity and inclusion; proactively seeking out diverse perspectives, talents, and embracing of different styles of contribution
- You have a growth mindset; striving to improve despite challenges
- 8+ years of experience in human-centered design, product design, or innovation as a design researcher or design strategist
- Previous design consulting experience either for external or internal clients/teams, with preference for candidates who have worked in similar environments
- Experience working with Fortune 100 clients and senior executives
- Demonstrated mastery of multiple qualitative / quantitative research methods, with deep expertise in at least one focus area (e.g. ethnography, design research, etc.)
- Expertise with design thinking methods and processes; ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams
- A point of view regarding the future of the discipline, combined with a passion for innovation and craft
- Exceptional verbal, writing and presentation skills
- Advanced degree in related discipline preferred (MS/MBA/PhD or equivalent)
- Ability to travel at least 10%, or as required by project work
- Generous PTO & Parental leave
- Emergency childcare benefits
- Flexible work; location, hours & work/life balance support
- Comprehensive family medical, dental and vision coverage
- Education, well-being & WFH stipends
- Seriously great co-workers
AN INCLUSIVE ORGANIZATION
As an organization whose mission is to help create a more equitable world, Artefact is committed to creating a diverse team and being an inclusive workplace. As such we strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. It is our promise that all candidates receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
WORK FROM WHERE YOU WORK BEST
If nothing else, Covid has revealed the amazing adaptability of our teams to work remotely while retaining a strong sense of collaboration. Post Covid, Artefact will continue in a hybrid work model with a combination of in-office and work-from-home in various mixes. So though in-person work or travel may be needed from time to time given client needs, relocating to Seattle is not a requirement for this position.