Design Director, Inspiring Leader
Design | Seattle, WA | Full Time
At Artefact, Design is our mindset and methodology for building a more equitable and sustainable world. With full-service capabilities, our teams help transform our client’s toughest challenges into product and systems solutions that not only help them face the future – it redefines it for the better.
Our Design Directors wear many hats: thought leader for the company; driver, mentor and coach to internal teams; ambassador and trusted advisor to our clients; and the creative vision and backbone to the work we do. They strive to deliver thoughtful ideas and execution in our work and inspire fellow team members by leading by example and by fostering the talents and contributions of the people they lead.
As a Design Director at Artefact, you should be experienced at confidently shepherding and educating internal teams and clients on the value of design and be passionate about how emerging technology and trends can be used to elevate an experience. Although you are supported by executive leaders, you are often the main point person for our clients & design programs and are responsible for setting and managing timelines, resources, milestones and the overall quality of the idea and execution.
We want to work with people that seek to understand why things are the way they are, and who have the vision to see the potential around what they could be. Designing beautiful, intuitive products and experiences are only part of the role. We are looking for people that consider themselves to be educators, servant leaders and industry guides; smart and detailed thinkers that enjoy navigating complex subject matter, and leading people in bold and illuminating ways towards the right pathways forward. If you love dissecting the components and opportunities around product, system and service spaces and improving the interaction between them, in relation to business, people and society, then we’d love to connect.
Make an Impact:
- Lead, mentor, and inspire teams of product designers, researchers and technologists
- Give direction and feedback to teams and help them produce their best work
- Be a leader for creating and sustaining healthy design culture throughout the studio
- Lead and collaborate on multi-disciplinary teams to define conceptual directions, user interaction and workflow models
- Establish new design systems or work within existing ones
- Work with user researchers to turn observational and other data into creative solutions
- Find ways to make complex information and interaction as simple as possible
- Actively participate and get into the design details as needed
- 10+ years’ experience working with cross-functional product teams (design, research, product, engineering)
- A human-centered approach to designing product, service and system solutions
- A value system that they would describe as: Inclusive, Trustworthy, Optimistic, Bold and respectful of their own and others Agency
- A compelling portfolio of case studies that demonstrates strategic, conceptual and production expertise either leading teams or as a practitioner
- Humble and direct communicator and storyteller that can speak to the value of our design process and inspires others to do their best work
- Customer focused, self-managing problem solver, accountable and able to thrive in autonomous environments
- Creative and flexible under changing settings, courage to be heard, sense of humor, passionate about design and technology, life-long learner
We are a proud Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.
Artefact is a strategy + design firm. We help organizations address complex challenges, create new forms of value, and shape responsible futures. Together, we make new products, services, tools, and systems that use technology to do good.