Robotics Software and Controls Engineer
Software and Controls | Austin, TX | Full Time
Austin-based Apptronik (apptronik.com) is developing world-class robotics technologies including agile humanoids and high-performance exoskeletons. A spin-out from the Human-Centered Robotics lab of UT Austin, Apptronik is dedicated to developing the robots of tomorrow that will work alongside humans and improve our quality of life.
We have several projects going on and you can have the opportunity to work on all of them! We are a small team that emphasizes collaboration, creativity, and most of all innovation to develop new and novel concepts to help bring robots into our everyday lives. We believe the best way of growing is by doing, so you will start work on any one of our projects the day you arrive. As you start work you will be an integral part of the overall system development and work with other engineering specialties who are all working on the same project. Enjoy benefits such as setting your own work hours, unlimited paid time off, medical insurance, and perhaps best of all… living in Austin, Texas! You will have the opportunity to see your work grow from an idea on a whiteboard to live demonstrations.
Candidate Description and Job Role:
Specifically, we seek an experienced Robot Software and Controls Engineer with proven hands-on capabilities and a strong theoretical background. We are primarily interested in candidates with prior implementation experience on robotics hardware. In this job role, you will develop high-level planning and control algorithms and implement software in C++ for a variety of robotic platforms.
Minimum education/experience: Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years software engineering industry experience OR Master's degree in Computer Science, Electrical/Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering or similar and 2+ years software engineering industry experience.
- High software engineering proficiency using C++ in a Linux development environment, with prior demonstrated ability to
- Translate complex theoretical concepts and algorithms into practical, efficient, and bug-free software implementations
- Perform on a fast-paced software development team using standard CI tools like Git while following rigorous documentation and testing standards
- Strong theoretical understanding of some significant subset of dynamics, controls, estimation, and linear algebra
- Experience developing and debugging real-time, multithreaded software systems
- Experience implementing model-based feedback control of articulated robots and troubleshooting hardware
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
Nice to have:
- Experience with complex robotic systems, especially planning and control for grasping and manipulating generic objects with a robot arm in an industrial automation context
- Familiarity with any of the following:
- Experience with modelling dynamic systems, system identification, and optimization solvers
- Experience with embedded systems and firmware development
- Familiarity with RTPreempt and Linux kernel configuration
- Experience with EtherCAT
- Exceptional attention to detail and engineering discipline
- Creative, curious, analytical, and disciplined
- Capable of multi-tasking and managing multiple deadlines
- Great team player able to communicate effectively and perform within an interdisciplinary and dynamic start-up environment
Compensation & Work Environment
- Competitive base w/ benefits
- Equity incentive package
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Flexible work hours policy
- Professional development opportunities
Start date: Immediate
Location: Austin, TX
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.