Principal Data Science Software Engineer - Python
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
We are looking for a Principal Data Engineer to lead our data engineering team. Help mature our existing data pipeline framework and strengthen our data warehouse in an effort to build self-serviceable reporting and analytics tools. Work to build an amazing data engineering team and deliver reliable, robust, well performing data services. Written and verbal communication will be important as you work within cross functional teams attending daily standups and other scrum and design meetings. Documentation is key for understanding both in the present and in the future. You love data and using new technologies to deliver that data as accurately and cleanly as possible. SQL and Python are second nature to you. You want to embrace serverless technologies and apply modern architectural patterns in your day to day work. You strive to work smarter and to optimize engineering processes to squeeze more out of a day.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead a team of engineers that are building our core data infrastructure.
- Participate in design sessions with a cross functional team providing advice and documenting solutions to problems.
- Attend daily stand ups and weekly scrum meetings.
- Create and update technical documentation.
- Research new technologies and how they might fit into our ecosystem.
- Mentor more junior engineers through code reviews and other learning sessions.
- Respond to operational issues that might arise to help triage and fix problems as quickly as possible.
- Build technology roadmaps for engineering driven initiatives to help improve our existing data models and pipelines.
What you will bring to the team:
- Expert in Python.
- Expert in building data pipelines and data warehouses.
- Comfortable with different data storage mediums such as relational, columnar, and document databases.
- Experience with data pipelines in AWS using StepFunctions, Lambda, Batch, EMR, and Glue or equivalent technologies.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum methodology.
- 15 years working as a software engineer
- 10 years of experience as a data engineer
- 5 years of experience with Python
- 5 years of experience working with AWS or equivalent cloud compute service.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience using Atlassian tools including Jira and Confluence
- Experience with a diagram creation tool like LucidCharts
- Experience with Github
- Experience with cloud based architectures and designing data pipelines that run on cloud compute services
- BS in CS / EE / CE / SE or equivalent related work experience