Director of Software Development
Software Development | Hyderabad, Telangana, India | Full Time
Job Description: Director of Software Development
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Location: Position is located at the Hyderabad headquarters
Supervises: 50 direct reports
American LegalNet (ALN) has changed the way law firms conduct their practice with the introduction of the ‘Desktop to Courthouse’ workflow solutions suite of products which includes eDockets, Forms WorkFlow and Court eFiling tools. This suite of legal practice software products, individually or combined, allows law firms to improve the workflow necessary to support the entire litigation or filing life cycle, and reduce the risks associated with missing dates and current content.
ALN is seeking exceptional leaders with an entrepreneurial spirit and a corporate foundation to join this dynamic cutting-edge company and help grow it to the next level – preeminent in the law firm support industry. If a challenge delights you and work stimulates you, read on.
THE POSITION’S PURPOSE:
The Director Software Development in partnership with the CTO is responsible for establishing the company’s technical visions, developing the product roadmap and leading all aspects of the company‘s technology development. This position is responsible for maintaining existing systems, while providing direction in all technology-related issues in support of information operations. The Director Software Development plays an integral role in setting the company’s strategic direction, development and future growth, positioning the company’s service offering as a leader in the legal industry.
The Director Software Development is responsible for the engineering team, which consists of development, IT and QA.
Manage development of products in the most cost-effective manner within quality standards. Oversee production engineering department to attain maximum efficiency in the design and production of legal web-based products. Direct activities so that products are developed on schedule and within quality standards and cost objectives and meet market demands. Review, analyze and approve the department’s operational and project budgets. Establish financial benchmarks and projections for departments as products and sales increase. Formulate and recommend operational policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and the profitability of the operation. Achieve optimum labor, overhead and material costs. Evaluate and approve hiring, and employee performance. Drive the company to achieve and surpass sales, profitability, cash flow and business goals and objectives.
Strategy & Planning
- In partnership with the company’s CTO, identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services as a web-based business, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to the business success.
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based services.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, office networks and computers, and telecommunications.
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments to assess and recommend technologies that support company organizational needs.
- Establish a governance process that meets government, partner, and company expectations for customer information privacy.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide information security plan that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the company’s data and servers.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Communicate the company’s technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
Implementation & Deployment
- Select and set up a software revision control system and repository (in the absence of a system administrator).
- Collaborate with the CTO and potential customers to develop use cases (or user stories) and specifications that describe the implementation of the company’s services as a web application.
- Collaborate with a User Experience Designer and potential customers to prepare wireframes or mockups of a prototype of the company’s web application.
- Select or define the company’s software development methodology.
- Establish a specification conformance and testing regimen based on user stories and the User Experience design.
- Review current best practices for the selected web framework and establish the architecture for the application.
- Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors that will implement the application.
- Establish and supervise the software development process, setting short-term objectives and assessing progress as defined by the selected software development methodology.
- Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors that will implement a design as web pages using CSS and XHTML conforming to web standards.
- Promulgate coding conventions and documentation standards.
- Conduct code reviews and specification conformance testing as defined by the selected software development methodology.
- Select, deploy, and monitor performance profiling tools and procedures.
- Establish an application deployment process and supervise deployment to staging and production servers. Establish and supervise a quality assurance process, including integration and system testing.
- Select and set up web-based internal communications systems, such as a wiki, blog, chatroom, project management, and bug tracking systems (in the absence of a system administrator).
- Review and approve proposed development releases and manage the release process.
- Evaluate and select web application hosting providers.
- Monitor application performance and review any application failures in staging or production.
- Establish and monitor a web analytics regime that measures site traffic and application usage relative to business goals.
- Select and manage the vendor for website search engine optimization.
- Support the marketing process by providing implementation of technical requirements for Internet marketing.
- As a member of the senior management team, establish a customer service and support process, with particular responsibility for web-based services that implement the support function. Establish a process to integrate customer service and support with the software engineering process to support resolution of customer issues and improve application usability.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices by attending relevant conferences and reading widely (including reading your peers’ blogs!).
- Define and communicate company values and standards for acquiring or developing systems, equipment, or software within the company.
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organization’s investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders with regard to the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
- Ensure company technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Supervise recruitment, training, retention, and organization of all development staff in accordance with the company hiring process, personnel policies, and budget requirements.
- Establish standards of performance and monitor conformance for staff (through performance reviews) and vendors (through service level agreements).
- Ensure the company’s internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with community expectations and applicable laws and regulations for privacy, security, and social responsibility.
- Promote achievement of the company’s business goals within a context of community collaboration by developing policies for sharing software code, technological innovation, business processes, and other intellectual property.
- Contribute to open source software development, standardization of technologies, and evolution of best practices by collaborating with peers outside the company, releasing code, presenting at conferences, and writing for publications (online or offline).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / MAJOR OBJECTIVES / DELIVERABLES:
Director Software Development will assist in developing the vision and a road map to execute current and future company goals and objectives including but not limited to winning new market segments, significantly increasing current client firm usage and effectively consolidating all ALN products and services.
- Refine current plan / document road map / set time frame / drive to fruition
- Develop future plan / document road map / set time frame / drive to fruition
Coordinate and oversee operational structures, project plans and budgets with direct reports to ensure that each department’s goals and objectives are met in a timely and cost-effective manner.
In conjunction with the management team, develop and document standards, processes and procedures for the ALN sales team
- Facilitate communications between managers with standard meetings and reporting. Consolidate and deliver executive summary reports to CTO.
- Product quality, equipment, and operator performance
- Acquisition, maintenance and cost-effective technology including internal infrastructure, systems and client integration
- Ensures fixed assets are tracked and preserved
Fiscally responsible for ALN development department
- Develop, monitor, and report on operating costs
- Alert management of cost and labor over runs
- Make recommendations and implement solutions to challenges related to same
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS / EXPERIENCE:
Knowledge & Experience
- 5 plus years experience with architectural design of large-scale, highly reliable, and highly available Web based applications.
- 1-2 years of work experience as a Director.
- Detailed working knowledge of software design techniques, including object-oriented analysis.
- 4-5 years of work experience as a Manager- Software Development.
- 10 plus years experience developing and leading solution implementations using ASP.NET, C#, JQUERY, and SQL Server.
- Microsoft technologies specifically pertaining to the .NET architecture framework.
- Visual Studio/Visual Studio.NET.
- Object-oriented programming experience (C#, .NET).
- Experience moving an existing product to a SaaS based model is a big Plus
- Advanced experience using SQL Server.
- Exposure to architecture methodologies.
- Detailed working knowledge and experience delivering software applications using Agile/Waterfall software development methodologies.
- Understand business processes and the application of technology to implement them.
- Experience with all phases of development life cycle methodologies.
- Provide subject matter expertise, consulting, and strategic leadership for .Net and supporting Microsoft technologies.
Salary dependent on experience. Generous benefits package that includes vacation time-off, paid sick days. We also provide a great, stable and professional work environment.