Education | Franklin, MA | Full Time and Part Time
The Assistant Teacher is responsible for the implementation of educational plans and direct instruction of students. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the program data collection, recording and maintaining educational planning and implementation of individual behavioral programs within the Amego school setting, and general care and maintenance of the classroom. S/he reports directly to the head teacher and reports issues in a timely fashion. The Assistant Teacher works with the Head Teacher and the Educational Director. He/she works cooperatively with the team. They assure the quality of services while maintaining positive and consistent working relationships with all staff and works as a constructive and active team member in all duties.
- Instructs students according to the IEP.
- Maintains understanding of all educational and behavioral programs for all Special Education students.
- Attends all team meetings. Participates in the review of progress, problems, methods, techniques, schedules, etc.
- Serves as a role model for staff in communication, interaction with the students, Safety Care techniques and professional practices. Sets a positive tone and encourages positive attitudes in all team members.
- Documents student’s progress on all tasks being taught.
- Attends required training, as well as on student program training.
- Maintains a professional appearance at the work site.
- Observes and safeguards students’ rights.
- Administers medications as prescribed by student’s physician, as scheduled during school hours.
- Maintains accurate medication records for all students. Holds and maintains medication administration
- Assumes responsibility for the daily schedule and for assigning staff to students throughout the day.
- Oversees that the staff are following the schedule and assures that appropriate ratios are maintained or safely accommodated by adjusting the ratio assignments.
- Coordinates emergency needs with the approval of the Head Teacher or another manager.
- Assistant Teachers are trained on leading and assisting with behavioral interventions, which includes the implementation of emergency physical restraint as needed.
- Participates in training new staff, under the direction of the Educational Director.
- Responsibly handles purchase orders, petty cash and other cash systems for students training.
- Participates in informal counseling and coaching of direct care employees.
- Assists in the overall team approach in maintaining organization in the assigned areas. i.e. filing, inventories, and other relevant responsibilities. Participates in the general upkeep and cleaning of the school areas.
- Will periodically work at other Amego locations and may be required to work at a residential site for an alternate site day.
- Assists their supervisor in developing new systems when necessary.
- Reports on a regular basis to the Head Teacher regarding responsibilities described herein.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with all Amego personnel and students
- Routinely provides transportation in Amego van, or other vehicle.
- Maintains good communication skills (oral and written) with co-workers, administrative staff, individuals, families and caseworkers.