Internal Application: SQL Server Database Developer
Software Development | Portland, OR | Full Time
What You'll Do:
As an intermediate- to senior-level SQL database developer, you will contribute directly to application development and business teams as an embedded member of cross-functional, Agile development teams. Working alongside your development team members, you will support feature development, reporting and data analysis. You will also work closely with the architecture team to ensure current development and analytical activities align with long-term enterprise goals.
You will collaborate directly with development teams on a daily basis, and provide developers with database guidance and hands on data solutions.
Currently, our data solutions focus primarily on the Microsoft technology stack including SQL Server 2008 – 2016+, on premises reporting services, SSIS, C#, and other .NET data access technologies; however, other platforms and technologies may be used as business needs change.
• Assist development teams in the build out of schema and database technologies
• Ensure use of best practices for data-driven applications within development teams
• Review and optimize access strategies for application data
• Enforce database quality standards within the code base
• Build out and maintain reporting service and integration service applications
• Support transactional and analytical database efforts in support of the business needs
• Respond to data inquiries from client stakeholders and the business team
• Mentor developers and product owners on OLTP and OLAP database patterns
• Support architecture team in long-term planning and implementation
• Support after-hours and on-call duties as required
• Support operations and assist with troubleshooting activities as needed
• Continue to develop skills in database optimization, reporting, data analysis, and other database duties as a member of an agile software team
Success in this role
• You can visualize the big picture, analyze key issues and recommend pragmatic solutions.
• You can create and maintain processes in line with requirements for project goals.
• You have strong opinions on how things should be built, yet are flexible in achieving solutions.
• You work well in an agile team environment where process and schedules can change quickly.
• You want to make a positive impact and not just be a cog in the machine.
• You are a smart, creative, proactive problem solver.
Requirements for Success:
• B.S. in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field
• 5+ years experience as a SQL Server developer
• Recent experience working with SQL Server 2008+ supporting OLTP and OLAP workloads
• Strong knowledge of T-SQL, SSRS
• Knowledge of SSIS
• A great team attitude and the desire to work with a small group of your peers, without hierarchy or politics
• High level of proficiency in database design fundamentals for e-commerce, CRM and Inventory management systems
• Working experience with Excel and the “Power” / data mining add-ons
• Experience with PowerBI stack
• Working knowledge and experience developing and deploying SSRS reports
• Experienced with source control applications (SVN, TFS, GIT, etc.)
• Knowledge of C# and .Net web technologies
• Experience with Visual Studio 2012, 2013 and 2015
• Exposure to Azure cloud technologies
• Experience with large and very large RDBMS
• Exposure to non-Microsoft DB technologies (MySQL, MongoDB, etc.)
If this sounds like a great role and an ideal work environment, we’d love to hear from you!
The Support you Deserve:
We're proud of the high employee retention and work-culture we have built here at AltSource, but we never allow ourselves to feel we have “arrived.” We believe hiring uniquely talented individuals with diverse backgrounds and life experiences is the only way to continue to create a compelling product and service for our customers. While we offer amazing perks like a beautifully appointed headquarters in SE Portland, replete with ping pong, locker/bike rooms, catered breakfasts/lunches and enough Kombucha to fill the Mt. Tabor Reservoir, none of that is relevant given the current COVID situation, and candidly, we don’t believe that those things are the foundation of true, substantive culture anyway.
At our heart, we are a group of builders and doers who are obsessed with seeking a better way to drive client value. We get to work each day, choosing a career that pushes us outside our comfort zone and allows us to experience personal growth and development rare to most organizations. Because we seek high performance and high accountability, we offer competitive wage and benefit packages including paid medical and dental for all employees, and a 401k plan that rewards dedication and loyalty.