Software QA Engineer
Software Development | Portland, OR | Full Time
About this role
As software QA engineer, you are an embedded member of cross-functional development teams and play a key role in achieving the highest software quality goals using Scrum methodology. Success in this role requires the ability to collaborate with development team members on a Quality strategy. The primary focus of testing is user acceptance testing and includes planning QA efforts for sprints and releases, as well as test case creation and execution. You will need to bring knowledge and experience with addressing Quality within Scrum development lifecycles and have direct experience with all phases of software testing.
Although not immediately required, this role may expand to involve the direction of performance or automated testing.
• Serve as sole embedded tester and quality advocate in cross-functional development teams.
• Understand clients’ product goals and effectively champion a quality strategy that supports those goals with development team members.
• Thrive as an equal member in a self-organizing team, with the desire and knowledge to contribute to the overall design and direction of the system.
• Create and maintain test cases (user scenarios) and all keep applicable documentation up to date.
• Work closely with developers on release process and procedures.
• Follow best practices for test processes and methodologies and contribute to ongoing improvement of test practices.
• Work effectively on small cross-functional teams having focused goals and fast sprints.
• Apply your knowledge of how the software works from a user perspective by being ready to take on the role of demo expert. Guide the team to get the feedback we need from our customers.
• Work closely with Product Owners to understand acceptance criteria and resolve User Interface concerns.
• Collaborate with QA efforts across multiple teams and projects when needed.
• Learn new technologies and tools as business needs change and effectively incorporate them.
Qualities for success in this role
• You enjoy identifying the most meaningful tests, while discarding those that have less impact on the success of reaching a customer goal.
• You work well in a close-knit team and actively contribute to quality software.
• You have experience with or significant interest in automated testing in a software environment.
• You will steadfastly advocate for our clients’ needs and work collaboratively with teams to ensure their needs are met.
• You are a positive, proactive problem solver.
• Demonstrated software testing skills and understanding of QA practices and principles; ability to understand clients’ needs and create test solutions that address them.
• Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with development team members and advocate for quality as a team concern.
• Ability to self-direct daily work and take full ownership of your development teams’ QA needs.
• Ability to work productively with small groups as peers, without hierarchy or politics.
• Ability to adapt as conditions change and learn new technology as needed.
• Interest in contributing to automated testing efforts as needed.
• 2+ years experience in Software Quality Assurance (preferred).
• Knowledge of .NET webUI stack (helpful).
We don’t just build custom software, we build lasting partnerships that help our customers grow their business. We work with innovative companies to create custom applications that will enable growth, streamline processes, and ensure scalability. It’s why we love what we do. That’s why, no matter the job title, from Fullstack Developer to Designer and everyone in between, we collaborate with our customers on a daily basis.
We have been in business for over 15 years and employ more than 175 people from our headquarters in Portland, and across our satellite offices in San Diego, Austin, Jacksonville Beach, Ashland, and Vietnam. For six years running we continue to be honored as one of Inc. 5000’s and Portland Business Journal’s Fastest Growing Private Companies, and there is little sign of slowing down!