Vice President, Intellectual Property
Legal | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics, with headquarters in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (AlloCAR T™) therapies for cancer. Led by a management team with significant experience in cell therapy, Allogene is developing a pipeline of “off-the-shelf” CAR T cell therapy candidates with the goal of delivering readily available cell therapy on-demand, more reliably, and at greater scale to more patients. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, and follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Position: Vice President, Intellectual Property
Location: South San Francisco, CA (Remote Potential)
Allogene is seeking a Vice President, Intellectual Property to lead the intellectual property law department at Allogene. The position will require working closely with Allogene's in-house research, development, manufacturing, and business development teams on intellectual property matters. This individual should be able to independently identify legal and other issues potentially impacting the business and contribute effectively to legal and other cross functional projects. The individual will also have responsibility to collaborate with the executive team and present to the board of directors. This position will report directly to the General Counsel and will be based out of South San Francisco with the ability to work remotely from anywhere in the US.
- Lead a core intellectual property team and manage outside counsel.
- Draft and prosecute patent applications (US and foreign patent offices as needed).
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of assigned projects.
- Conduct patentability and freedom-to-operate reviews.
- Counsel research and management colleagues regarding patent portfolio and strategy.
- Review and assist in the drafting of nondisclosure, research, license and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of intellectual property.
- Review proposed publications in regards of potential invention disclosure.
- Provide support for business development, including for in-licensing and acquisitions.
- Other ad hoc projects and duties as assigned
- Juris Doctorate and admission before a State bar or fully qualified legal credentials in California with at least 8 years of industry or law firm experience.
- Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries preferred; previous background as head of department preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry or related sciences preferred.
- Registered before the USPTO.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work with others to resolve conflict in order to meet objectives.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.